Hunter killed by bear in Alaska was Ohio man, say park officials

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/24/hunter-killed-by-bear-in-alaska-was-ohio-man-say-park-officials.html

2 Likes

colbert-report-threat-bears|nullxnull

17 Likes

Better make sure he’s immediately taken off the registered voters list, to avoid inevitable fraud!

5 Likes

Interesting. I thought you needed to have a licensed guide with you, and that the meat needed to be packed/humped out after the kill. Not having a gun (or sufficient gun) while handling a carcass is a really really bad move in AK. Sounds like their first (and last) trip.

8 Likes

Maybe this is a cruel sentiment, but I feel like if you’re killed by an animal while hunting big game, it’s fair play. Someone was going to die. The animal just wanted to live its life and be left alone.

ETA: Oh so it was a guy who killed a moose then left the carcass rotting for a day, then came back to slavage it. That’s fucking stupid. He basically baited the bear to come and get him.

25 Likes

Nature 1, Human -1 (natural selection is a zero sum game).

2 Likes

Well it wouldn’t be rotting for a day. It is pretty cool up in Alaska right now and more or less refrigerated at this point. If its cold enough, you can hang and age meat for several days before butchering. And then the old school way to store it was dig holes in the ground, pack it with snow, and cover it with moss.

Moose are huge. Like 900+ pounds dressed out and 500 pounds of meat! If they are in a remote location, you can only pack up so much meat and take it back to camp on your back. It the article it said they were making several trips. Sounds like the right thing to do, vs taking a leg each and leaving the rest.

10 Likes

Never the less, dead animals are going to attract bears and wolves.

4 Likes

sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

9 Likes

Don’t you mean “the bar”?

1 Like

coincidentally (or not), the Katmai Nat’l Park “Fat Bear” contest starts next week:

10 Likes

It wasn’t a black bear, so it’s being ruled, “self defense”.

8 Likes

8 Likes

“Hunter killed by bear in Alaska was Ohio man…”

One less trump voter?

5 Likes

At least on Alaskan reality shows, it is something that happens though, usually with full recognition that they have to hope another animal doesn’t show up for the free meal before they are able to return. Moose are massive and there’s only so much that can be packed out in one trip.

3 Likes

Hey, it was within 400,000 votes, which was under 2% of votes cast. Given the amount of vote suppression, gerrymandering, and electoral shenanigans, my guess is that Clinton actually won.

5 Likes

I’d heard that it’s common in cases like this to go after the bear and kill it otherwise it’ll think (correctly) that humans are easy prey. I don’t know if that applies to this particular instance or not.

I’m less concerned about the bear-man smorgasbord, but the thrust faulting in the NPS photo is to die for.

50/50 shot. The state turns out a lot of Republicans at the state level, but the presidential voting has always been really closely split.

2 Likes

But…hunter with enough money to go on a guided hunt in Alaska during COVID ($$$$). Yeah, 99.9% that guy was a Trumpkin.

5 Likes