Three-year-old boy is now the youngest member of Mensa UK

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/22/three-year-old-boy-is-now-the.html

3 Likes

“to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity; to encourage research into the nature, characteristics, and uses of intelligence; and to provide a stimulating intellectual and social environment for its members”

That’s nice. In my experience, Mensa membership is for insufferable people to have bragging rights over normies. Probably confirmation bias.

8 Likes

I’m willing to hear a counter-argument; any Mensa members in the BBS who are able to present a differing opinion?

Genuinely curious how members believe the organization has benefited humanity.

3 Likes

I was a member for a few months in high school. It’s exactly what it seems like, an emotional circle jerk for the egos of some very fragile narcissists. It’s gross to involve a little kid in it.

11 Likes

“He’s very much a typical three year old, reading books like The Golden Bough, Plato’s Republic and…wait, will Americans be reading this? Our son reads Goodnight Moon.”

1 Like

As the late, great Bill Hicks said:

Hey boys, looks we’ve got ourselves a reader

Oh, and if there’s anybody in marketing out there, Mr. Hicks has some commendable advice for you. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m extremely skeptical about Mensa. I’m not very bright at all, and they digitally hounded me to join. I’m not sure if Gmail saved me from their relentless emails, or if they actually do include a genius who figured out my idiot ruse and put an end to their fruitless-either-way hunt. Anyway, it just seems like they’d accept anybody for the cash.

2 Likes

Did you mean a 3-year-old English boy of Malaysian descent? I know I’m nit picking, but it implies Malaysians living in England aren’t English. Or course, maybe his family is just visiting, and so he’s still Malaysian living in England as an ex-pat, but not sure about that.

1 Like

I used to be a Mensa member for a few years. The other people I met there were generally nerdy, neither more or less insufferable than most people, and clearly bright but rarely if ever brilliant.

Anecdotally, I see a lot more people complaining about douchebag Mensa members, than I see Mensa members being asses.

1 Like

“Just look at that banana little bastard” - Cory Doctorow

That’s just the population difference been the 98% normies compared to the 2% geniuses.

1 Like

I’d be all about it if it was called Mentat, and we got to have Spice and the Juice of Sapho all day long. And weirding modules, and got to gaze at Kyle Mclaughlin for hours on end…le Swoon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.