Thunderdome for Democrats: Harris now leads Biden in California

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/17/thunderdome-for-democrats-har.html

1 Like

Warren/Sanders or Sanders/Warren = A very happy Mangochin

29 Likes

Oh, heavens no. The ticket needs to balanced with the most milquetoast centrist white man from a battleground state they can find because that’s how you win. Just ask John Podesta, he’ll explain it.

21 Likes

I mean, another way of saying “Thunderdome” or all the other apocalyptic terms people are using is “primary race.” Just saying. So far, pound for pound, this has been the least fight-to-the-death seriously contested primary in American history. That may change, but come on.

And California isn’t the most progressive state, as these things are usually reckoned. It’s just the biggest state that could plausibly be called progressive.

13 Likes

For a minute I thought “Mangochin” was your nickname for Trump, which would radically change the meaning of your comment. (No offense intended. But he is mango-colored and he has any number of chins.)

9 Likes

Land of Nixon and Reagan.

18 Likes

And the foretelling of Trump: Schwarzenegger.

5 Likes

So, Biden for VP? Again?

4 Likes

It’s kind of a low blow to besmirch the reputation of a big-in-the-80s former Celebrity Apprentice host who has a disturbing history of sexual assault allegations by likening him to Donald Trump.

26 Likes

Two (men) enter; one (man) leaves.

1 Like

I’ve had a Harris sticker on my car as soon as she jumped into the race. Even bought the tote bag. I love Bernie as a senator, and hope he stays helping tack the boat there. I’m mixed on Biden but he seems like Hillary II, and we all know how that worked out. We don’t need another old white male in the office, regardless of how progressive they are.

I’d love to see what nickname Trump can dig up to bully her.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Harris/Bootyjudge (sp)

Warren as AG

I can’t get into Harris whatsoever. Her record as DA vs. how she presents herself are the definition of weaponized identity politics: ‘the cynical emphasis on personal identity over political beliefs in order to advance a candidate(s) whose interests are inapposite to the needs of the groups they’re presumed to represent’

14 Likes

So much this.

I’d be in favour of the plans and passion ticket, rather than the coalition of meh that’s topping the polls in California at the moment.

7 Likes

I just wanna know which vote will be split the most, moderates for Harris/Biden or progressive for Warren/Sanders? It’s ridiculous we don’t have Ranked Choice for primaries.

8 Likes

I like a Warren/Harris, someone wonky/idealistic as president with lots of good well though out ideas (you can tell they are well thought out as no one is debating their details with gotchas), combined with someone that is a tough fighter, and law minded to rebuild all the institutions degraded under trump to be the muscle behind the scenes.

Biden has no new ideas, and not enough fight.

Sanders, I’m not sure why I am not as excited this time around; May just feels like he had his chance?

8 Likes

Exactly. Right now, she’s a cop in sheep’s clothing, and she’s going to bite the US right in the ass if they vote her in.

11 Likes

panda
Identity politics sucks.

10 Likes

…is complicated. Yes, she absolutely used the office in ways that furthered very problematic “tough on crime” agendas. But she also used the office to further many progressive issues; prosecuting predatory lenders, fighting for online app privacy and even taking on the big oil companies.

12 Likes