Time-lapse of a fingernail growing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/22/time-lapse-of-a-fingernail-gro.html

5 Likes

most disturbing part of that was when it was done, realizing how many fingernail videos there are on youtube

12 Likes

If you find that disturbing, do not look up blackhead squeezing.

4 Likes

Devote all that time and yet be unwilling to dremel™ in some superficial ruler lines so that a rate* could be calculated?? egad. (turn in your big boy’s golden empiricist’s club card)

*furlongs/fortnight

5 Likes

I was once told that our fingernails grow at the same rate as the San Andreas fault slips. Worried for Cali now.

1 Like

Could this technique be used to disprove that nails grow after death?

I’ve seen such a time lapse once before on a cadaver hand and yes, it does help illustrate that the nails (and hair) stay the same length as the desiccated flesh shrinks away, giving the illusion of growth.

I don’t have a link to that video but this one is probably more pleasant anyway:

2 Likes

Looks like one of those time-lapse videos of glaciers.

Fun fact: my geophysicist wife says that the San Andreas fault in CA moves at pretty much the same speed as fingernails grow. On average anyway. Much of the time it’s slower, and there are those occasional moments when it shifts a bit faster. But if you want to know how long it will take for Los Angeles to sidle right up next to San Francisco, that average speed will get you a pretty good estimate.

Edit to add: I see that @DoctorDuck already pointed this out…

3 Likes

Ew

8 Likes

If our fingernails grew at the same rate that the San Andreas fault moved, you would have years of no growth then a sudden spurt of three feet or so every 25 years. That would be alarming. Especially if you were wearing gloves.

3 Likes

Or picking your nose.

2 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

time lapse gif of a nailbiter’s fingernail
nails

3 Likes

That’s how I imagine my fingers looking if I waited over 40 days to clip my nails. I have trouble after two weeks! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t4: :keyboard:

If none employ balloon-being-rubbed squeaky sound as the nails grow, then I’ll pass on the videos.

George Geode for President!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.