Time lapse video of an ice jam forming on the Ausable river

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/08/time-lapse-video-of-an-ice-jam.html

6 Likes

Holy crap, did not expect that to be so sudden. Watching, watching, watching, little pieces of ice, watching, watching, BAM! Hope no one was injured and the property damage not too bad. I did a quick news scan and it doesn’t appear so.

15 Likes

I never did see the actual ice dam - did you? Must’ve been a little further downstream. The power of moving water is impressive.

5 Likes

The Kankakee River in Illinois is infamous for ice jams, especially downstream from the city of Kankakee. I took these shots a couple of hours before the bridge I was standing on was temporarily closed (to reopen later when the jam cleared):

12 Likes

Actually sounds like the reverse of that.

4 Likes

I know it’s sped up footage but it’s frightening to watch.

The river rose about 10 feet in 20 minutes, filled with ice, and burst its banks.

A great bit of footage.

7 Likes

That’s my jam!!!

6 Likes

Huh, this is pretty meditative, and I wonder if it’s going to gewhooOOOAAAAmygod!

14 Likes

the river rose exactly 7.75 ft

I find that exceedingly difficult to believe, both due to the lack of further decimal places, and the notion that a single measurement could be applicable across such a large, turbulent surface.

3 Likes

Cold is slow to worsen.
Then it’s fast.

My new favorite Emily Dickinson poem.

6 Likes

Getting out my micrometer calipers…

1 Like

So who put all that ice there?!

1 Like

After watching it frame by frame, two things occur to me: firstly, I think that the jam was actually upstream of the camera and we are seeing the release flow, not the jam itself. Also, the video (while admittedly very dramatic) felt a little bit off to me because the interval time between frames was inconsistent. I’m not saying that it’s doctored, but I’m suspicious enough in general that when I see any abnormalities, I reflexively think monkey shines.

I live in VT just on the other side of Lake Champlain from Ausable. Trust me. It’s real. Many of our rivers did the same thing here. Just no YouTube footage of it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Looking forward to the next video article: Watching Paint Dry".

1 Like

3 Likes

Previously on Boing Boing:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.