Timer, the "I hanker fer a hunk o' cheese" guy, was originally from a 1973 afterschool special

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/20/timer-the-i-hanker-fer-a-hu.html

5 Likes

I remember that special even now. The uncle looked like Archie Bunker, over-eating garbage food, puffing on cheap stogies, and practising less than ideal personal hygiene. I was as freaked out as the kids over what all that did to his interior.

3 Likes

This was a little before my time and never saw a rerun, evidently. But I will check it out, hopefully.

I saw the special when it came out (I thought it WAS Archie Bunker), and was super confused when Timer then popped up nattering on about cheese.

re: Kim Richards, very disturbing to have seen her on that Real Housewives show, I remembered her from all the Disney stuff, plus Hello Larry and Tuff Turf:

4 Likes

I was born in 74 so I only knew him from Saturday cartoons.
I totally remember him saying “time for timer” at the beginning, but I never would have guessed that was his name. I just thought it was another silly saying of his that meant “it’s time!” or something. never could figure out exactly what he was supposed to be.

don’t wait until it rains
until you try this tasty trick
you’ll have a fun time
eating sunshine
on a stick!

7 Likes

yeah, i didn’t realize it was his name either. and in retrospect, i think his voice totally is meant to sound like Paul Lynde, which also explains why i liked him.

3 Likes

Is it just me or do none of the links work (except to the BB post itself, where they don’t work, either)?

I keep trying to figure out which one of these after-school specials (might’ve been a Sat. morning special) I saw when I was about 4 (ca. Nixon’s resignation). It wasn’t animated; probably had some kind of puppets. Some sort of robot(s) watching small monsters? beasts? antigens? go by on a monitor, and when one particular example went by the robot(s) moaned and fainted.

yeah, I could see that. you may be on to something. he was the rat in Charlotte’s Web, it could really be him, not just an impersonation.

2 Likes

Templeton is exactly the voice i think is most similar, yeah. that’s the vibe, for sure.

2 Likes

hey, that is weird.
@Rusty_Blazenhoff did you just change the color of the type? are we getting trolled?

1 Like

Our CMS was recently updated and, for some unknown reason, all of my links get garbled. I don’t know why it’s happening and not sure how long it will be until there’s a fix. It’s frustrating on my end too!

1 Like

Definitely not getting trolled… see my other comment.

2 Likes

I helped our team win a trivia contest by remembering this name.

3 Likes

It’s been fixed!! :partying_face:

3 Likes
3 Likes

my browser with tons of scriptblockers is having a hard time loading pages on bbs and regular boingboing today (but usually loads fine,) so that makes sense now.
hope they get that sorted soon. thanks the reply.

2 Likes

I wonder why they re-purposed him for the cheese propaganda piece. Did the dairy board president see the afterschool special and say “HIM! Right there!! Get me THAT GUY!!”

3 Likes
4 Likes

Ah, so he’s an allegorical representation of the hypothalamus. Noice.

3 Likes

The old uncle is Otis the town drunk from the old Andy Griffith show. Back when drinking too much was, ya know, cute.

3 Likes