Tiny protest signs for your cocktails

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/17/tiny-protest-signs-for-your-co.html

1 Like

Nothing expresses the spirit (hah) of protesting for equal wages, etc. quite as much as cocktail flags.

5 Likes

This bugs me. I’m trying to nail down why.

Maybe it’s because it trivializes – while also capitalizing on – something more of us should be doing more of, in a time when it’s really necessary? And it calls to my mind the stereotypical “cocktail crowd” people, who are doing fairly well for themselves, joking about protesting and protesters.

Maybe I’m taking it far too seriously, and just need to accept it for what it is and let it go. But yeah, it bugs me.

18 Likes

I don’t like the juxtaposition.

Protest signs and fancy cocktails don’t mix well unless protesting white after Labor Day or the antique armoire door being too squeaky.

4 Likes

These would be perfect:

7 Likes

Or that the people in power would much rather you were numbing yourself with booze than paying attention and protesting.

4 Likes

i’m torn. as a cocktail lover, i approve. as a citizen who also attends protests, i see the weird juxtaposition going on here. hmmm.

2 Likes

Agreed.

“This is what demockracy looks like”

1 Like

One should say “End Prohibition.”

5 Likes

I am giving booze a chance right now!

5 Likes

Besides, if you drink martinis in protest it’s black olives, duh.

1 Like
7 Likes

In the late sixties or very early seventies there was something you could get in the toy store. Little protest signs that reflected the times, in a broad and innocuous way. I think there were small stickers too, I put one on my Tonka jeep. But I can’t remember whether tyey were an accessory to another toy, or maybe sold bubblegum style, or what.

Thiugh, in 1977 an “alternative” bookstore opened d here, selling political books. Therewas a wine and chees party to launch it, on the 50th Anniversary of the execution of Sacco & Vanzetti. Tye store was originally owned by a left wing publisher, Black Rose Books.

I actually went, at the tender ago of 17. It felt kind of uncomfortable, the wine and cheese didn’t seem right among those radical books.

1 Like

I understand the discomfort about trivializing protest, but let’s not slip into puritanism either. A Martini is a “fancy cocktail”, but really all you need are decent gin, decent white vermouth, and decent olives. It won’t break the budget of anyone who can afford to drink alcohol in the first place.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.