TIP: Lava not an effective method for heating up canned ravioli

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/04/tip-lava-not-an-effective-met.html

8 Likes

Correction: Lava is a very effective method of heating up canned ravioli.

You just don’t get the ravioli after it’s heated.

37 Likes

You just gotta be ready to catch whatever comes flying out when the can explodes.

3 Likes

As Greta Thunberg pointed out this week, nature doesn’t do deals, & you can’t bargain with physics.

20 Likes

Roger That!

4 Likes

The lava must have really enjoyed the ravioli. It burps at about 1:18.

9 Likes
  1. to be fair, putting a closed can of ravioli in a microwave wouldn’t have had much less disastrous results.

2. Toward the end I distinctly saw the lava helpfully toss a couple steaming ravioli out onto some as-yet-solid rock. Everyone’s a critic of the food service industry…

11 Likes

When I was working in construction, I often wanted a warm meal for lunch but didn’t want to spend the time to go to a restaurant or break out the camp stove.

I came up with the idea of placing a can of soup on the exhaust manifold of my truck, which worked great, until it went horribly wrong.

17 Likes

Oy, doesn’t everything?

(Just wanting to appreciate your excellent turn of phrase! :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

I’m gonna hug it and squeeze it and call it George.

7 Likes

Came for the ravioli explosion. Was not disappointed.

9 Likes

It’s an interesting kink, but I’m not shaming!

10 Likes

Chef Boyardee - putting it in lava is probably the best thing you can do with it.

1 Like

In the Boy Scouts in the 70s there wasn’t anything that didn’t become more fun when fire was involved.
All kinds of cans went into campfires (we’re awfully lucky there were no shrapnel injuries). Sodapop was pretty fun, fountaining up in the air, but the very best was Snack Pack pudding (which used to come in metal pull-top cans, not these flimsy plastic tubs). After a couple minutes in the coals, it made this wonderful “schluck” sound as the pudding exploded.

7 Likes

You mean that everything about cooking I learned from Minecraft is wrong?

6 Likes

These weren’t real animals, so yeah, pretty much.

10 Likes

PROTIP: bash the tin against the toe of your boot before putting it in the fire. When the dent pops back, it’s time to retrieve the can.

Why it works: The dent allows the increasing pressure to be temporarily relived before the can fails catastrophically. Without a dent, the first indication you get is sudden catastrophic failure.

Why it won’t work anyway: the lava will not be giving up its nomnoms today

7 Likes

Is that, is that (lemee guess), my brain on drugs?

1 Like

Ya’ dent cans with your finger.
Did you sir never work in a kitchen?

Chef B is basically relabelled WWII C-rations.

Victory Gin.

OTOH, it could be worse.

4 Likes