To fight gun violence, Trump proposes detaining mentally ill Americans

It began with Stalin, but throwing dissidents into snake-pit mental institutions was the hallmark of Brezhnev’s regime.

Yes, in the sense that Reagan shut down truly awful and underfunded and abuse-laden public institutions and instead of founding better ones he just chucked the patients into the streets (homelessness as we now know it became a visible wide-spread problem starting in the 1980s because of this).

Biff is just going to bring back those awful and underfunded and abuse-laden public institutions as penal facilities, and eventually start using them for political opponents.

31 Likes

I’d like to think that there are no psychiatrists out there willing to violate their Hippocratic oath in service to a climate change denying, vaccine skeptical, anti-intellectual racist, but there’s an asshole in every family.

I’m glad my mother didn’t live to see this; she’d have bludgeoned Trump to death with her copy of the DSM 3.

20 Likes

Next, will be involuntary sterilization of the mentally ill?

10 Likes

In a twist of irony, the asteroid of doom isn’t spotted because the government defunded the agency that looks for asteroids of doom.

23 Likes
19 Likes

12 Likes

Great! When will he submit himself for detainment?

8 Likes

Reminder that the Holocaust began in Germany’s hospitals and asylums, with the enthusiastic cooperation of the German medical professions.

The reason why medical professionals have strict ethical codes is not because doctors are exceptionally ethical people. It’s because the medical professions have a vast potential for abuse, and a long history of malpractice.

The US psychiatry/psychology community is globally infamous for its lack of ethics. American psychologists are thoroughly implicated in American torture.

30 Likes

Please excuse my language here, but

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE.

I have seen what they are like from the inside, I’ve seen family thrown in them against their will, and a lot else. I had an aunt that was special needs, and she was left for most of her life in institutional care and largely forgotten about. Because at the time (1950s) people didnt know what else to do. She never got the help she needed.

American mental wards are a nightmare place.

I won’t go into it here, god I wish I could, but its just too personal. I’ve seen the gestapo state firsthand, and seen people treated like animals, bound in chains all over. Overzealous vengeful cops from backwater towns and dirty judges, the whole system of American bullshit.

This country is full of arrogant, vindictive and cruel morons who abuse their authority wherever they can, and I know more than a few people who have had their entire careers ruined by this system. I know people close to me that have been directly abused by the “mental health care system”.

Don’t ever tell me one more time, you useless sack of human garbage, that building another prison system of mental institutions is going to fix anything.

I hate this bastard so much!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:!

32 Likes

Because what we really need is to turn the incels up a notch, yes?

2 Likes

It has also been a hallmark of the United States.

During WWII women entered the industrial workforce in unprecedented numbers, got skills, had their own money, so on and so forth. After WWII they couldn’t get jobs and were expected to go back to not being financially independent and to being wives and mothers first, last, and always. This was the age of Miltown and later Valium, “Mother’s Little Helper” as the Stones put it. It was also the era when Schizophrenia became overwhelmingly a diagnosis for women who were unhappy, disconnected, and just not satisfied with their lot in life.

In the 60s Schizophrenia became disproportionately the diagnosis for “Angry Black Men”.

In both cases it was a way of medicalizing dissent and denying the legitimacy of challenges to existing social norms.

These days it is being used the other way. When those who support existing racial, sexual, and political norms commit terrorism in support of these power structures they are immediately labelled “crazy” which disconnects their actions from their politics and protects those views from scrutiny into their violent consequences.

22 Likes

It’s 1939.

Well… You said do something.

As a person who has been diagnosed with a mental health issue, and has been in institutions, please no P.S. “Nothing about us without us” as well you guys think to yourself, “it’s a hospital, we’ll send them there to get better” you don’t know. you just don’t know. they put us there so society doesn’t have to deal with us. that’s it. it’s not helpful. not for me not for others i’ve talked to. maybe some. not for me. let us have a choice at least. please.

srusly. you guys haven’t been there. you don’t understand. nothing about us without us.

29 Likes

Don’t forget that this is just deflection from the White Guy With Guns problem.

20 Likes

So if mass shooters are mentally ill, then the “manifestos” they post online are the products of mental illness. You know, the manifestos that echo, sometimes word for word, the speeches and tweets of the current US president. What conclusions may we draw from that?

24 Likes

Of course he says: “These people are mentally ill”, otherwise he would be complicit in their crimes.

5 Likes

Exactly. Texas passed laws in 2015 restricting public entities from banning guns, which led to the state mental hospitals asking visitors to pretty please not bring in guns or at least conceal them. There was a bill introduced a couple years later to undo this, not sure if it passed. Texas allows guns into state mental health hospitals

8 Likes

Obviously the ill are attempting to self-medicate by drawing on the country’s greatest supply of stable genius.

It is, of course, tragic that some are too far gone to be saved by our leader’s light; but obviously the dynamic at play analogous to the one that creates an apparent correlation, but not a causation, between death by disease and recent adherence to medical advice.

To consider the obvious explanation would be hateful and politicising. Clearly.

9 Likes

The fucking snide comments to the effect of “oh yea, well it’s fine to put the crazies in camps, but in fact it is the people I dislike who are the crazies” :roll_eyes: Maybe if you tried real hard you could think of some other reason the evil people ought to be deposed, and you wouldn’t have to fall back on ableist bullshit. Lumping all the mentally ill people in together with violent monsters, that is exactly the horrifying bigotry we ought to be upset about.

6 Likes

In the competitive asteroid game, “enormous size” would mean “thousands of times larger than the object that created the Gulf of Mexico”

There’s a lot of restaurants and tourists and stuff round there, so I would prefer a meteor of merely sufficient size, but really vengeful in terms of its attitude.

Better yet would be an end fitting the subject, such as a fatal mega-prolapse, or being flattened by a huge sow.

11 Likes