To heck with human lives. Colorado Rep. Buck needs his AR-15s to kill raccoons (video)

My grandpa used a slingshot and marbles.

5 Likes

You mean to tell me that the good senator, here, is potentially looking at solving his (totally not hypothetical problem) with an ineffective, acute / tactical solution when the situation calls for a strategic / systematic solution?
Bless his heart.

7 Likes

2tbt09

4 Likes

Yup. Growing up, whenever we’d have problematic raccoons or opossums in the attic or crawl space it was typically a matter of trying to drive them away with loud static or noises, and if that didn’t work then a Havahart trap would do the job so they could be humanely relocated to the heavily forested regional park that was nearby. Growing up we also had chickens, and somehow they weren’t constantly being massacred by angry raccoons either. That chicken coop must have been magic.

But I guess when you have a hammer, and all that.

Raccoons are wicked smart — don’t be surprised if one day they start shooting back.

8 Likes

Yep. Skunks and possums are the same. They tear the heads off and leave it all behind.

6 Likes

It’s the damn groundhogs. They get into your garden and eat half a tomato and leave the rest on the ground for you to find later in the day. Arrrrgh! Infuriating little furry creatures they are!

4 Likes

Even if we take him completely seriously, that just means he thinks chicken lives are more important than the lives of human children. It’s as though the lie is so egregious that it distracts from the fact that the opinion is ludicrous even without any lying involved, and somehow that leads to him being able to say it without becoming a pariah.

10 Likes

The last 2 years, something, I am suspecting racoons, has gotten into my corn plants and eaten every damned ear just before they were ready to pick. Every. Damned. One. Always happened at night (hence my suspicion) and they left the stalks standing. This year I did not plant corn. Maybe convince them to go harrass someone else.

10 Likes

For me it was groundhogs and possums. I never caught raccoons eating my corn.

ETA

7 Likes

Same here. Last year I lost all 100 over the course of two nights. Didn’t leave a single kernel on the ground. I tried setting a live trap but the dopey sparrows kept springing the trap.

4 Likes

A few years ago my daughter wanted to try growing corn in our backyard. It grew very well until we were just about to harvest. Overnight every stalk was broken down and every ear had one or two bites out of it. Definitely raccoons.

What with all the paperwork involved in getting an AR-15 in Canada, it’s simpler just to buy our corn at the supermarket.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.