Today Arizona reports its highest Covid daily death toll, and it's not even noon yet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/24/today-arizona-reports-its-high.html

5 Likes

broadchurch-sad|nullxnull

24 Likes

Corona Hot Spots, not the vacations you were looking for.

17 Likes

Hey, AZ residents: move to New England. We have amazing health care facilities, a downward trend of Covid cases, an amazingly resilient capability to WFH, and tons of other stuff I can’t even name.

I mean…you have the 112 degree temps, fires, and the Grand Canyon, but at least it’s a dry heat, right?

17 Likes

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! :wink:

17 Likes

Ontario, Canada:
pop: 13.6 million
peak new cases (April 24): 640
new cases June 24: 163 downward trend
cumulative cases: 34000

Arizona, USA:
pop: 7.3 million
new cases June 24: 3593 upward trend
cumulative cases: 54586

Not to say Ontario is doing the best possible job, but still.

34 Likes

I’m not sure why you would want to invite people to pull into your state who feel like May was the time to cast off all the PPE and embrace the health of the economy over their own. Seems reckless.

There are some nice places in Arizona that would be nicer if they weren’t in Arizona. My wife wanted for us to move there. I said the state was too red for my taste. We are still discussing it, and news like this doesn’t help her case.

28 Likes
30 Likes

Had two friends relocate there, and if it weren’t for that my first vacation to AZ would’ve been my last. As it is, one moved from Phoenix to “wildfire central” two years ago. We mostly talk on the phone now.

8 Likes

We traveled through a few locations in Arizona a few years ago with an overnight stop in Phoenix so my wife and her mother could attend an event that was going on at that time. I found it to be horribly unpleasant. All around. The Motel 8 we stayed it had dedicated police parking spots. “0 out of 10, would not do again.”

Prescott was nice though.

8 Likes

I don’t know about Arizona, but Tucson is pretty nice.

7 Likes

I’ll take your word for it. My friend who lives near Phoenix once said the dry heat is like when you open the oven door while baking cookies - without the delicious aroma. My other buddy built her dream retirement home ten miles outside Prescott, and last year’s news highlights really had me worried.

9 Likes

It’s not just red. It’s a special kind of Arizona Red, which is a weird mix of childishly-interpreted libertarianism, distrust in institutions, and extreme hatred of California. I have some in-laws from there, and some business associates as well. None of them can get five minutes into a conversation without mentioning how great guns are, how bad taxes are everywhere else, or how awful something about California is (none of them have actually lived here of course).

19 Likes

Yeah, I have cousins there who say the same plus motocross and cigarettes.

Az. was a nice place visit though.

6 Likes

Can confirm! Twenty years in that hellscape of Phoenix and the absolute fucking self-absorbed ‘I got mine, shut yer face’ redneck bullshit that you describe is spot on!

You said it! Spot on!
I much prefer being known as ‘Florida Man’ (and all that it may imply) over a ‘Phoenix Phucktard’ any day!

14 Likes

I hope all the sick folk stay away from Horseshoe Bend. too close to native american land and hard to resist for its beauty.

15 Likes

Agreed. The Navajo Nation has been sorely socked with this awful plague.

12 Likes

The real problem is that they are publishing this data. Should take a page from Florida’s playbook and “fix” it.

Sending thoughts and prayers (no, the real kind) to my parents and their neighbors who are caught in that stupid state.

4 Likes

Without a doubt. Sedona is one of the most beautiful places I’ve been too, and also amusing for the severe hippie overcompensation happening there for being in AZ. It’s like everyone who thought Santa Fe was too uptight and old fashioned moved there. Like so many places in the US, the natural beauty is incredible, and it’s a shame about the people that happen to live there. Wait, maybe this is why AZers hate CAers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

Two words; water security.

6 Likes