Today in transphobia (Part 1)

I heard that DeSantis blows goats. He really should stop that.

14 Likes

I heard it was sheep—must be both. Either way, you’re right—he should stop that.

11 Likes

Why? If he’s blowing sheep then women are spared his attentions.

1 Like

*rage scream

15 Likes

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

13 Likes

I quit drinking, so…

No GIF by Rise at Seven

14 Likes

Conidering she hangs around with Matt Gaetz, she’s one to talk.

Nevertheless,

buffy dark willow scream rage

14 Likes

MT Greene is herself another option, being both disgustingly anti-trans and completely unwilling to defend children and women. I don’t know her stance on pedophiles…think it would be going out on a limb to guess “denounces but looks the other way in practice”?

16 Likes

I’m not going to go looking, she disgusts me, but I don’t believe I would be surprised should somebody else find proof.

14 Likes

As part of my interest in defending children and women…and men and everyone else…I would never ask someone to go looking for more from her.

14 Likes

Alabama joining in on the trans extermination trend.

13 Likes

Just waiting for something like this in VA. Youngkin is watching other GQP govs with great envy.

13 Likes

Fuck those democrats. Trans people are the point of the wedge these assholes are using to oppress all LGBTQIA+. We’re an ‘easy’ target, but the fascists won’t be stopping with us.

15 Likes

Republicans have repeatedly demonstrated a complete disregard for and lack of understanding of the concept of consent.

16 Likes

Because the sheep cannot consent.

10 Likes

“These search suggestions are a manifestation of the pervasive transphobia in our current cultural, social, and political climates,” says scholar and licensed therapist Alex Iantaffi, a leading researcher in trans health and a clinical member of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health. “As such, they do contribute to the struggle that many trans and/or nonbinary people face when exploring their gender, or sharing their identity and/or expression with the world.”

Iantaffi contextualizes this predictive search behavior within a larger system of gender policing on the internet that often disregards and delegitimizes trans peoples’ humanity. They say encountering transphobia repeatedly during a day-to-day task like Googling can contribute to higher levels of depression, anxiety, substance use, and suicidality.

“These higher levels of negative mental health outcomes are common across many minoritized communities, not because of people’s marginalized status,” explains Iantaffi, “but because of the systemic oppression faced even when engaging in the simplest of tasks such as searching for information, walking down the street, or going to the bathroom.”

When the world’s most powerful search engine nudges users to search a famous trans celebrity’s “real name” or to ask if a certain public figure “is male,” it implies that these are valid questions to ask about any trans person, Iantaffi and other experts tell me. It perpetuates the discriminatory and hostile environment that trans people experience when they log online.

And despite its power and profits, Google hasn’t taken any effective action to prevent such transphobia from showing up in its predictive search suggestions. Instead, the company relies on a deficient automated filtering system in conjunction with after-the-fact reporting, like this very article, followed by manual fixes.

14 Likes

Lynn Conway worked on that years ago and they revised the algorithm to show trans orgs, resources etc.

I guess they’ve backslided.

14 Likes

It’s about time, trans people have been hogging all the medals for too long. /s

15 Likes

The TERFiad impassionately reporting on the trans mental health crisis in the UK, that they themselves have caused to happen.

https://archive.ph/maRRN

ETA:

16 Likes

Sometimes I feel like a supervillain—my existence sends these assholes into a fit of panic and rage.

13 Likes