Today in transphobia (Part 1)

Atwood makes it clear in the original book that a certain subset of reactionary sex-negative feminists co-operated or at least sympathised enough with the Xtianists to bring Gilead into being.

17 Likes

More like the TERFs had deradicalised themselves, which is why a lot of left wing trans inclusive people call them Trans Exclusionary Reactionary Feminists now.

15 Likes

You’re trying to apply rationality to hate.Brennan learned that just recently - she was shocked that they came after cisgender women’s rights using her trans bashing arguments.

14 Likes

As noted above, the “radical” part comes from their exclusion of transwomen from their backward version of feminism. They believe themselves to be “radical” and those of us who aren’t bigots disagree.

So, what exactly, are you trying to argue here? You are not being even remotely clear and are coming off as if you are trying to defend people who are bigots? So what are you attempting to accomplish?

14 Likes

It’s funny cause she follows me on Twitter (which is horny on main material). So I feel bad for her cause I wish I could flag some posts as NSFW on there. >_>

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter whether anyone who is bigoted against trans folks fits either the label of feminist or radical; just as there is no real difference between the Klan and so called ‘Proud Boys.’ It’s the hatred and attempts to subjugate, marginalize and exterminate trans people that makes them bigots. That was not a question that “just needed asking.”

O_o

If they happen to dislike being called TERFS, I guess that’s just too damn bad.

14 Likes

I know, but the Teen Vogue interview makes it clear that she considers TERFs to be part of that subset.

15 Likes

crowd%20standing%20ovation

11 Likes

I mean, why should we care if a group of people who are openly advocating bigotry are annoyed by accurately calling them what they are? This is like white supremacists asking to be called white nationalists or some other descriptor… White supremacist is an accurate description that tells people what you are dealing with, as is TERF, which accurately describes the position of particular feminists. They believe you should radically exclude trans woman from the feminist cause - they describe themselves as radical feminists, to boot. They are therefore, enacting bigotry against trans women in the name of a radical agenda, which is full on bullshit. If a group of feminist starting going on about who women of color should not be included under the feminist umbrella, we would rightly call them racist, because they are indeed racist.

14 Likes

The question for some - is - which part of the description do you disagree with? Do you not want to exclude trans people? Are you not feminist?

12 Likes

Personally, if it’s not including trans women, it’s not feminist. Just like it’s not properly feminist if women of color aren’t included. My liberation should not be predicated on further oppression of others. It’s hardly liberation if so.

13 Likes

Absolutely. But they don’t actually disagree with the meaning of the phrase - they just want to attack it to undermine the equality position.

11 Likes

It makes no sense to me.

For instance, I couldn’t care less if it hurts Richard Spencer’s ‘poor little fee-fees’ to be called a hate-mongering racist, because that’s exactly what he is.

THIS, exactly.

Trans rights are human rights.

16 Likes

That and they want to argue that they are not bigoted, and they think that this term is designed to make them seem like something they believe they are not (which, they are). They DO believe in excluding trans women, because they are bigots, but they still identify as feminists fighting for the rights of women. They want their cake and they want to eat it, too.

12 Likes

Wll - obviously trans people and their allies are the real bigots.

11 Likes

I mean, really shouldn’t trans people finally help these radical feminists who have spent their lives sacrificing for trans people! How dare they call out their attempts to exclude some women! /s

sarcasm-speech-impediment

11 Likes

Oldest move in the ‘oppression manual’:

17 Likes

The terms people call other people are not always used in perfect accordance with the definitions of the pieces of the terms. For example the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea fits at most one of the words in it’s name.

This is the reason that some are advocating that we start calling these transphobes “FARTs” instead of “TERFs”. It stands for “Feminist Appropriating Radical Reactionary Transphobe”, clearly indicating that these assholes aren’t feminists, but rather are using the language of feminism to perform distinctly non-feminist acts.

Edited with a hat-tip to @the_borderer.

12 Likes

Reactionary

They aren’t getting to the roots of anything.

10 Likes

That’s because you’re using a Western Imperialist Dictionary written by the capitalist running dogs at Merriam Webster. If you truly understood Juche, you’d sing a different tune.