Today in transphobia (Part 1)

11 Likes

I’m perfectly happy calling them transpobes & bigots as well.

12 Likes

Seems accurate to me. Let’s do it!

10 Likes

cb9052e1d717ef101a6a454d76d8e4365674b15e

10 Likes

Hell no. I was under the impression that

• radical feminism was a distinct subset of feminism.

• That TERFs believed themselves to be a distinct subset of radical feminists.

• That one could use the arguments in radical feminism to argue that TERFs were embracing a self contradictory position.

• And that Hillary Clinton, whatever her political position on trans rights, could not be described as a “radical feminist”, and therefore “Trans exclusionary radical feminist” was not an apt description.

But if transphobia is rooted at the very core of radical feminism that impression falls apart.

Is this article accurate?

But, impressions are fickle, and can change.

Why yes - there are trans affirming and trans exclusionary people.

12 Likes

Enough of this giving energy to the haters.

It’s Transgender Awareness Week; lets shift our focus to positive apects about transfolks and the trans community:

Indya Moore, my girl-crush of the moment, was on the cover of Elle magazine a few months back.

11 Likes

I think one problem you’re having in understanding this is that TERFs don’t self-identify as TERFs. It’s an accusation, not an affirmation.

13 Likes

It is not. TERFs would have you believe that, but they are wrong.

Once again, they are embracing a bigoted position, which means they are reactionary, not radical.

Fuck impressions. What are people actually doing in this world, what material conditions do they actively seek to perpeptuate. Talk is cheap if not backed up by actions, especially in this current example. In this case, TERFs are actively advocated for a bigoted position, full stop - it seeks to exclude a group of women from the definition of people deserving support from the larger cause of feminism, which is an unacceptable position, and not remotely radical. That’s just a fact - whether they wish to admit that or not, is another story.

Do they call themselves radical feminists? Often they do, but that doesn’t make it so. They are as @the_borderer as pointed out, reactionary in nature, not radical. They are willing to throw one group of people under the bus.

amber-ruffin-what-confused

14 Likes

I like the way Erin Palette talks about being a woman on her blog:

To make an analogy, your sex is the country where you were born but your gender is the country of your citizenship.

Most people are happy being citizens of the country of their birth, but some people want to immigrate to a place where they can be happier. That doesn’t make naturalized citizens any less American than those who were born here; it just means they had different life experiences growing up, and that gives them a different perspective on the American condition.

Similarly, transwomen aren’t any less women than those who were born female; it just means they had different life experiences growing up, and that gives them a different perspective on being a woman.

Saying that “only those born female can be women” is like saying “only those born in America can be American”, which is a terribly limiting mindset.

Trans women are women, full stop. :smiley:

14 Likes

giphy

8 Likes

I’d call it more of a description - but -YMMV.

9 Likes
12 Likes
7 Likes

It’s not a revolutionary idea. Wait…

8 Likes

Divide and destroy.

First they came for the Transpeople¹…

¹Actually, that’s exactly what they did.

16 Likes

Spot on truth. I <3 CJA!

9 Likes

not sure how jackhammer jill identified (the old boingboing logo):

jillhammerjohn
but i’m grateful that boingboing has always been a safe place for all, too few in this world.

13 Likes

Not sure where to post this. Certainly not in the Trans Week of Visibility thread - but it’s certainly newsworthy.

5 Likes

I know one of the people who was involved in getting the B and T included in London Pride, in the same year (1996, I think). The arguments for excluding both were similar, so they used the opportunity to get both included at the same time.

The definition of Transgender that was unanimously agreed on in the trans group was based on the idea of performative gender, and included non-binary, drag and crossdressers. There is also a lot of divide and destroy happening now with some groups trying to force them out of trans from inside, and I have also seen and heard TERFs trying to take all non-binary away from transgender (presumably the transphobic equivalent of ‘some of my friends are black’).

10 Likes