Today in transphobia (Part 1)

In the UK, there were more cases of sexual assault by one cop than by trans people over the same period of time. :rage:

15 Likes

It’s the latest directive connected to the contentious policy passed by the Central Bucks School board on Jan. 11, which teachers, students, and parents have been protesting against ever since.

The “advocacy activities” policy is part of a federal investigation of the school district that followed a federal complaint from the ACLU of Pennsylvania, which alleged Central Bucks is creating a hostile learning environment for LGBTQ students.

The directive follows news about the district using Harrisburg-based law firm Independence Law Center to review details of its library book policy, which ​​allows any parent or district resident to raise questions about any book over its “sexualized content.”

The Independence Law Center is the legal arm of the Pennsylvania Family Institute, the statewide branch of the national organization Family Research Council, an anti-LGBTQ Christian nationalist group designated as an extremist hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

13 Likes

They’re preventing trans kids from getting care.

This is the concern with a gov health care plan for trans people.

14 Likes

It’s a good reminder that things like public health systems (or public education, anything else, really) are meaningless when you have a society that includes deeply embedded forms of bigotry of any kind. Until you uproot all forms of bigotry, people are going to get intentionally left out as a means of trying to drive them out of society. It really is a form of, not only discrimination, but also state-sponsored violence.

But this is why we can’t just address things along the lines of class and expect everything to work out. Yes, you need class consciousness, but if you don’t deal directly with forms of bigotry in your society, you just keep oppressing people!

13 Likes

The US also has a Government Health Care Plan for Trans people, which is also “prevent it at all costs”. It’s just that there are many of them, state by state by state.

It’s not “Government-provided or -funded single payer health care” systems which is the problem, it’s “TERFs gaining control of governments”.

11 Likes

Though I have the option of going elsewhere if private care exists. And I have had to do that in my lifetime.

It’s hard for me to give unqualified support to government health care in the middle of a pogram.

16 Likes

It doesn’t matter who provides the care when the government is actively making it a felony to do so.

It’s not the mechanics of funding that’s the problem, it’s TERFascists in government that’s the problem, in the UK and in the US.

9 Likes

When it’s the only option - it is the mechanism of funding that’s part
of the problem in a society with bigotry.

12 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 Likes
15 Likes

Sad Arrested Development GIF

12 Likes

computer rage GIF

9 Likes

16 Likes

angry hulk GIF

11 Likes
23 Likes

Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

11 Likes
11 Likes

I wish this slideshow had captions so it would be clear that (1) most of the anti-trans “teens” group were adults, supplemented by the Proud Boys, and (2) the opponents of trans rights were far outnumbered by trans people and their allies.

13 Likes

Just a little humor break from all of this. I do think public ridicule is part of the arsenal to defeat injustice:

13 Likes
13 Likes