Today in transphobia (Part 1)

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

They (meaning Rowling, terfs, etc) are the ones who do not believe in bodily autonomy…

19 Likes
15 Likes

Literally too few to use the “Dozens of Us” gif.

12 Likes

17 Likes

3 tenths of a percent.

21 Likes

A vast majority of those who detransition do so not because of regret per se but because of blow-back from family and society, making it easier for them to go back in the closet. As such, the regret rate is much harder to assess, since there is little to no societal pressure to undo a knee replacement or prostate cancer treatment.

17 Likes

Are those different subgroups? One looks like it’s those who had surgery - the other more general transitions.

The thing the right is using often in its attacks is surgery.

Also- do we know how many of those people Re-transitioned later? I know several.

17 Likes

As I read it, they are not looking at surgical transition as a separate category, but at “transitioning” broadly. If anyone has a reference looking at specifically surgical transitions/detransitions, I am all ears.

17 Likes

The link I just posted

14 Likes

Filed that away for future reference, but the specific question I have (and with only 6 detransitioners, this is probably too small to answer) is the number who detransition because they realize it was the wrong choice for them, vs those who do so because the social/family/etc pressure is too much for them. Now, what follows is guesswork with no evidence, so take with grain of salt. I suspect that by the time one comes to surgical transition, they have been socially transitioned for a time. So, it stands to reason that the blow-back would be less shocking, but I have nothing to base that on, and may be totally wrong. Because of my field, I have not actually had any patients proceed to surgery while they were under my care. I have gotten some op reports and a few cards from those who did after moving to adult care, so no real experience to draw on. Does that sound reasonable to those who have experience, or am I totally off base?

12 Likes

Dammit, she was playing Luna Lovegood, not Luna Lovebad.

harry potter luna lovesgood GIF by chuber channel

7 Likes
11 Likes

That’s just straight up sex discrimination on top of transphobia.

15 Likes

Direct violation of Title IX.

14 Likes

Fuck them. (Not that I am in Kentucky, of course) Denying appropriate and adequate treatment is grounds to have your license revoked. Of course, that being a state function, I guess they won’t have to worry about that, just compromising every professional ethic in existence for fucking political circus.

angry thor ragnarok GIF

14 Likes
15 Likes

There are details lacking here. I have never heard of GAS performed as young as 13. Puberty blockers, hormones, counseling, absolutely. Surgery would be questionable at best.

15 Likes

It all seems suspicious.

13 Likes

Kaiser was founded in 1945, and there’s no date attached to this incident in the article, so I think it’s “historically” plausible.

Cigarettes are good for you!

*(No, not really.)

5 Likes

They are! In a pinch, they can be used as an emergency gauze pack for bullet or knife wounds. They are almost sterile directly out of the pack and expand like a sponge to stop the bleeding.

Oh, you mean smoking cigarettes!?! Hell no! I’d rather have the bullet wound.

13 Likes