Today in transphobia (Part 1)

13 Likes

FYI, here is the segment with discussion with Soulbunni:

12 Likes
16 Likes

11 Likes

In an interview with fashion magazine Elle, Malik, then 21, who had previously worked as a model noted that she moved in with a trans friend and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism and civics from Lahore’s Punjab University, while studying make-up and working at a local salon to support herself.

Upon graduation, she began looking for jobs — and landed her first and current one with Kohinoor News, a small Lahore-based TV channel, after passing her screen test with flying colours. “At my interview, they asked, ‘Why are you interested in working here? Don’t transgender people just beg and dance for money?’”

After three months of training, she began her career on March 23, 2018, and news of her employment went viral she told the worldwide women’s magazine.

“Like other trans people, I did not get any support from my family. On my own, I did some menial jobs and continued my studies. I had always wanted to be a news anchor, and my dream came true when I got selected,” she said to Voice of America in an interview.

Speaking with the BBC she said: “Our community should be treated equally and there must not be any gender discrimination. We should be given equal rights and be considered ordinary citizens, instead of third-gender.”

She added: “My family knows I have modelled and they know that I work as a newscaster. It’s the age of social media and there’s nothing that my family doesn’t know. But they have still disowned me.”

18 Likes

“Transgenderism?” Since when is being trans an -ism? Implying it is a belief system rather than just being human. What a fucking asshat!

17 Likes

The right believes that transness is an ideology, that we choose to be trans, and therefore eliminating the ideology eliminates transness. Of course, they’re wrong. If it was possible to choose not to be trans, I wouldn’t be, because I tried very, very hard to not be trans.

18 Likes

“transgender people are not a legitimate category of being”

In that case he should have absolutely no problem with giving transgender people equal treatment in all areas since they’re just like everybody else.

(And technically we’re in agreement there. The trans people I know are just like everybody else I know because no one I know is like anybody else, even the twins.)

7 Likes

I remember praying to God a lot when I was a kid, to make me not trans. It didn’t work and is probably a big part of the reason why I am an atheist now.

16 Likes

I wouldn’t trust the Daily Wire’s definition of equal treatment.

In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Anatole France

17 Likes

Good point, and thank you for reminding me. The very definition of equality isn’t something we should even have to defend and yet here we are.

11 Likes
11 Likes
14 Likes

Angry Fire GIF by Droners

14 Likes

tl;dr Top Guardian editor Ian Katz was married to Justine Roberts, the founder of Mumsnet. Now you know.

11 Likes

11 Likes
12 Likes

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

12 Likes

Love that the presence of one person on a team of many caused them to think it was unfair enough to drop out of the tournament. I would be completely unsurprised to learn that that trans player wasn’t even the star of the team, it’s not elite sports and hormones really do take away pretty much every advantage that being male would give. Waste of a trip and a disservice to the girls on the forfeiting team IMO.

14 Likes
13 Likes