Today in transphobia (Part 1)

Speaking of Jenner’s run, Kimmel made two jokes about this in the monologue. One was, “Is her platform to ban herself from public bathrooms?” which struck me as fair political commentary on the Republican party. The other was, “I guess people are looking for change they can believe in.” That one was pretty off-putting to me. Not that I’m trying to start a #BoycottKimmel movement. More that I’m processing my feelings about it publicly.

10 Likes

Yeah, the first one… fine. The second… nah.

9 Likes

She’s good at running. Fuck all else.

14 Likes
  1. Good at running
  2. [left as exercise for reader]
  3. Running for office
11 Likes

Something something decathlon…

5 Likes

39c0bb7621d76d519013d560d3a1a863

13 Likes

ummm, I think he knows nothing of what he speaks. An orders-of-magnitude greater number of adults are childless by choice than are trans, and being trans does not necessarily mean you are childless, so I am fairly certain LGBTQ rights are not a threat to our survival as a species. Now, our current drive to make the planet we live on uninhabitable by us, that’s a whole different story, but they don’t want to touch that with a ten-foot pole. But, of course, facts won’t stop this from becoming a talking point among the MAGAt right. Fact-proof epistemological bubble is kinda their thing.

15 Likes

Great prog rock album title, not such a great Fux News vibe.

10 Likes

And @docosc

Trying very hard not to be ignorant here, but if someone has enough of the right set of equipment, they can still get pregnant despite other equipment being present, right? Or impregnate someone else?

9 Likes

Tucker Carlson threatens the perpetuation of the species. Imagine if everyone had him in their head? Impossible to get romantic.
Ugh.

9 Likes

True. This fact is the heart of why there is a move toward referring to “pregnant people,” as opposed to “pregnant women.” There are trans men who are pregnant, and recognizing this is a kind of important acknowledgment.

14 Likes

And “people who menstruate” instead of “women.”

ETA context. When discussing periods, the term should be “people who menstruate.” I did not intend to imply menstruation is any kind of indicator of womanhood. It is not.

9 Likes

Not sure if this is meant as sarcasm or not, but if not, there are a lot of post menopausal, post hysterectomy, or other reason non-menstruating humans who would like to have a word with you, not to mention the trans men who are still menstruating.

9 Likes

There’s a fair bit of acknowledgement at the beginning of a medical transition that you might want to store your eggs or sperm for later as function can be lost.

Anybody shouting “but it’s against nature” probably doesn’t know jack about biology or loving families.

14 Likes

IMHO, there’s no shame in ignorance, only in unwillingness to rid yourself of it…

3 Likes

And “people who menstruate” instead of “women.”

Just FYI the usage of this on a health information leaflet last year is what started the TERF movement here. It didn’t really exist before it (gender recognition act had passed and been in effect without controversy) but this gave them something to rally around.

Obviously the health services used the term in good faith as an inclusive term.

4 Likes

It’s still a term without meaning. If menstruation is the “determining factor” in womanhood, an awful lot of folks who have considered themselves women for their entire lives are in for a terrible shock as they get older. “I used to be a woman, but what am I now?” At least on this side of the pond, it rings wrong. Not gonna judge UKers, but strikes me as ripe for abuse.

10 Likes

They weren’t defining women though, it was an information leaflet on periods I think.

7 Likes

Ah, OK, with you now. That makes sense. I plead ignorance on the context.

7 Likes

I mean it’s a niche case for use! But whoah did it drag the terfs out of the woodwork.

4 Likes