Today in transphobia (Part 1)

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

how fucking hard is it to just LEAVE OTHER PEOPLE ALONE TO LIVE THEIR LIVES… and maybe even SUPPORT EQUAL RIGHTS FOR THEM as a stretch goal!!!

Jeff Goldblum Perfection GIF by AbsoluteRadio

I can’t think of a better way to describe it.

16 Likes

https://twitter.com/JamieAli_/status/1441794360538898439

See, Keir, this is how it is done. It is also nice to know we have a proper Shadow Women and Equalities Secretary again.

14 Likes

Cross post in UK politics

Stay tuned for next week’s exciting episode of Terf Island.

15 Likes

Next week? It’s like Big Brother, with regular updates all day.

https://twitter.com/cathynewman/status/1442470031447576577?s=19

Two relevant things from this

1. The Shadow Chancellor is a TER
  2. Refusing trans women entry to womens refuge shelters goes against the recent statements by Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and her predecessor, Anneliese Dodds, as well as the Equality Act 2010

Inaccurate tweet, see comment below. Still relevant as an example of transphobia by Cathy Newman though.

Tory TERs are no great surprise, but a health secretary who is unqualified for the job should be front page news.

Again, no great surprise if you have been reading my comments for the last few years

Britain is in good company there, but I’m sure that with a little bit more effort we can be compared to the Middle East’s LGBTphobic laws.

Next on TERF Brother, Rosie Duffield and Liz Truss get into a fight over who is least dedicated to transphobia.

12 Likes

An update:

That Tweet about Rachel Reeves is inaccurate, it’s Cathy Newman who is maliciously misquoting her.

9 Likes

“ Bishops should consider requiring DNA tests or physical examinations to ensure that all seminarians are biological men, said Archbishop Jerome Listecki in a recent memo sent to the members of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.”

10 Likes

What the fuck?

I hope that one day in the future that the Church looks back on shit like this and is really contrite about it and works to be really inclusive of their LGBQT+ members. Pope Francis’ nice words really aren’t enough.

Don’t read the comments. :roll_eyes: :rage:

14 Likes

He has had nice words about gay folk. Trans folk; not so much.

But I do understand how the Archbishop might be dismayed over what he perceives as lowering the number of young men under his tutelage.

12 Likes

Bored Will And Grace GIF by Cameo

Did Jesus stutter about the whole love one another thing? Apparently, so. I’m not a Christian, but it seems pretty clear to me.

15 Likes

Key findings

Daily life

40% of respondents reported having experienced transphobia when seeking housing.

63% of respondents reported experiencing transphobia while seeking employment, rising to 73% of BPOC respondents.

85% of trans women reported being subjected to transphobic street harassment from strangers, with 71% of trans men and 73% of non-binary people saying the same.

69% of Black people and people of colour (BPOC) respondents reported experiencing transphobia from their line manager at work, and reported consistently higher rates of experiencing transphobia from colleagues (88% compared to 73% of non-BPOC)

80% of non-binary people reported having experienced transphobia from colleagues compared to 73% of trans men and 73% of trans women saying the same.

99% of trans people surveyed have experienced transphobia on social media.

93% of participants reported that media transphobia had impacted their experiences of transphobia from strangers on the street.

Healthcare

14% reported that they were refused GP care on account of being trans on at least one occasion.

When accessing general healthcare services, 70% or respondents reported being impacted by transphobia.

57% of trans people reported avoiding going to the doctor when unwell.

98% of respondents described the transition-related healthcare available on the NHS as not completely adequate, with 47% responding that it is “not at all” adequate. A greater proportion of disabled trans people reported inadequacy of service.

53% of Black people and people of colour (BPOC) reported experiencing racism while accessing trans-specific healthcare services.

BPOC respondents also experienced transphobia from trans-specific healthcare providers at more than double the rate of white respondents (13% compared to 6%).

60% of disabled respondents reported experiencing ableism when accessing trans-specific healthcare.

Trans people with disabilities are more likely to experience delays, with 93% having done so compared to 85% of non-disabled people.

40% of respondents felt that lack of access to NHS transition related care has impacted them ‘very much’, with just 12% of respondents saying it had not impacted them at all.

13 Likes

All doubt has now been removed

I think we can be glad that Marsha de Cordova isn’t Shadow Equalities Secretary anymore

ETA: Looks like Rosie Duffield did go to Brighton after all.

8 Likes
15 Likes

Cool, which of those ten does free healthcare?
I’ll pack my bags.

12 Likes

We’re ruled out. Both on health care and safety.

10 Likes

disappointed krysten ritter GIF

12 Likes

Let’s get 30,000 of us to emigrate to Lichtenstein, San Marino or Monaco and have a majority.

10 Likes

Malta has good trans rights laws, and English is an official language.

12 Likes

The climate looks good - but that would be a much larger undertaking given the population size.

9 Likes

We have a flag!!

11 Likes

And I know the women who designed it - way back then. Haven’t seen her in a very long time.

10 Likes