Today in transphobia (Part 1)

For those who don’t read the articles:

19 Likes

Even reading this I see the care that Gadsby has to take that Chappelle doesn’t.

I once saw a bit of Stewart Lee stand up that was going after the Top Gear cast. They were in the news for making racist comments and saying they were just jokes. Lee was making the same “it’s just a joke” comment that Gadsby is here, but was much more vicious.

“And I wish he’d been killed in that crash. I wish he’d been killed and decapitated, and that the next series of Top Gear had been presented by Richard Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond’s severed head on a stick. [long pause] And if that seems a bit much for all the Top Gear viewers, it’s just a joke like on Top Gear… So when I said that I wished Richard Hammond had been decapitated and killed, like on Top Gear, it’s just a joke… but also… coincidentally… it is what I wish had happened.”

Stewart is a white man, and goes even further than that. But of course Gadsby couldn’t say something really awful about Sarandos. Gadsby already has to worry about people being angry and violent. So instead it’s just “I’ve done shits with more backbone than you,” which is a jab, but you know if Gadsby was totally off the leash the insult could have been a much better example of crossing a line.

(I recognize, though, that perhaps the reason the insult seems so off-the-cuff is because Gadsby genuinely didn’t care to put any time into thinking of something worse, which would be utterly justified and itself a worthwhile comment Sarandos bringing Gadsby into the situation)

17 Likes

The Root’s report about Netflix tripling-down on this :rage::

13 Likes

This is a big problem with the power held by celebrities adored by toxic fans who will go to any lengths to defend them. It’s disturbing to see those fans demonstrate their support by harassing and attacking people (usually women) who dare to suggest that their idols should be held accountable or face consequences for their words and actions. Every time it involves a Black celebrity the issue gets rehashed again in the community, but we have yet to see a solution that works - even when the celebrity involved calls for fans to stop. That isn’t the case here, though. Seeing the folks responsible for causing others pain engaging in doubling-down, denial, and cover-ups makes it so much worse.

16 Likes

I’m trans and I have to be very careful talking about this on Twitter. If I use certain words (e.g. ‘Chapelle’) I get a bunch of shitty troll accounts dogpile on my tweets and send me death threats and ‘41%’ and ‘you’ll never be a woman’ and other fun stuff like that.

This shit does have real world consequences and Netflix and Dave can go fuck themselves for making online spaces much more toxic for trans people while telling me I’m overreacting.

18 Likes

Several trans women were abused to the point where they dropped out of the last couple of general elections, but that isn’t reported by most of the UK press. I wonder why that is?

That’s stage six of the ten stages of genocide, by the way. That’s why the Council of Europe are worried. It isn’t too late to stop it, but it needs large scale opposition beyond just trans people. (Stage five isn’t really achievable under current English and Scottish law)

18 Likes

Jeeze, what dreck. She done “monstered” herself by being monstrous. What the TERs share with the US fascists is the art of declaring their abuse of people as a right then whinging that their right (to abuse others) is being infringed.

15 Likes

There’s not much distance between the TERs and right-wing fascists, according to TikTok:

19 Likes

That’s amazing work. And…so depressing.

14 Likes

Turns out, mindless hatred is the real ‘gateway drug…’

18 Likes
15 Likes

killing eve bullshit GIF by BBC America

14 Likes

I’m sorry I got caught.

16 Likes

Fucking greedy, privilege-blind asshole…

15 Likes

**yet

10 Likes

Looks like his “I screwed up” has been run through the PR laundry with a heaping helping of Passive Voice Statement Softener…

14 Likes

It is possible that at some at sometime in recorded history, someone did not act in ways that people understood clearly.

That might be regrettable. By someone.

14 Likes

If it caused offense, which was not intended, and which was wrongly inferred. [blech!]

14 Likes

So many terrible Twitter links in this article with examples of transphobia and racism… :woman_facepalming:t4:

16 Likes

Angry Star Trek GIF

15 Likes