Today in transphobia (Part 2)

11 Likes

Ah, Missouri, you never fail to disappoint me.

1. A person commits the offense of contributing to social transition if the person is acting in his or her official capacity as a teacher or school counselor and the person provides support, regardless of whether the support is material, information, or other resources to a child regarding social transition.
  2. The offense of contributing to social transition is a class E felony.
  3. As used in this section, the following terms mean:
    (1) “Child”, a person under eighteen years of age;
    (2) “Social transition”, the process by which an individual adopts the name, pronouns, and gender expression, such as clothing or haircuts, that match the individual’s gender identity and not the gender assumed by the individual’s sex at birth;
    (3) “Teacher”, as that term is defined in subdivisions (4), (5), and (7) of section 168.104.
9 Likes

JFC, if that passes, calling a kid by their preferred pronouns or name is to on par with Involuntary Manslaughter in the 3rd degree, Parental Kidnapping, Child Molestation in the 4th degree and Counterfeiting… I hate it here.

11 Likes

Not just pronouns: giving a girl a short haircut or letting a boy wear a kilt would be felonies.

How long until letting girls wear pants instead of dresses and skirts is included by precedent? Bets, anyone?

9 Likes
8 Likes

I’ve never met him, but I like Walter Masterson a lot at the moment.

EDITED to remove an unnecessary criticism of the article that was based on a misunderstanding on my part.

4 Likes

Maybe I"m missing something, but what is wrong with using “his”? Nex used he/him pronouns.

6 Likes

I thought Nex used they/them.

Checking online sources, what I find is that the stories I read (immediately after Nex’s death) said “they/them”. I’m now seeing stories that suggest Nex used both sets, so my comment about the use of “his” was unfounded; I’ll remove it. Thanks for the correction.

6 Likes
8 Likes

I get that Masterson was being satirical but it was hard to keep that in mind when there are legislators who say the kinds of things he says and mean it. I hope he’ll keep in mind that it’s only possible to shame people who have the self-awareness to be ashamed of themselves. He’s more likely encouraging the people he intended to call out than causing anyone to rethink their views.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Yeah, I know there are people like “State Senator Filth” who have gone all-in on hatred. It’s possible that Masterson’s comments are just screaming at the wall. Maybe, though, his words will get through - if not to the school board members, then perhaps to the people who put them there.

It may just be the kind of assessment of the board’s behavior that will cause people who blindly supported the Board to actually think about how horribly depraved that response really was. This may be unlikely, but a guy can dream, right?

4 Likes

7 Likes

The Times has a long record of doxxing trans people, seeing as it is a newspaper of record and they reported on every name changed.

If one of those names and addresses just happened to make it to the front pages, then that was in the public interest. Then they’d pass the information over to the S*n who would do even worse.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Rupert Murdoch will die far more peacefully than he deserves.

9 Likes

Most cable news segments on anti-trans legislation in 2023 did not include the voices of trans people

Why are we treated differently from every other community?

9 Likes

It’s easier to deny our humanity when they can’t hear us talk about our lives. That’s my guess anyway.

10 Likes

I’ve made the comparison before, and I’ll do it again

8 Likes

Kapo Kaitlyn crosses the country to find a camera.

9 Likes

Source

13 Likes

My only disagreement (and a very mild one) would that IMHO, metal is at least as inclusive as punk. Hell, Danica Roem, a trans state senator here, was a metal musician before entering politics.

She has a new book out as well!

10 Likes