Today in transphobia (Part 2)

It’s an online game, not sure if it’s live service. Those haven’t been doing so well lately, especially for Sony.

1 Like
10 Likes

How many people said this, that this was never just about “protecting kids”, that they’d start there using it as a moral panic wedge, and eventually they’d come for trans adults, too.

God damn, what the fuck is wrong with people that they can’t see what’s going on here…

13 Likes

Over the last decade I have talked so much about how bad things would happen, and been told it wouldn’t even as it did, that I have semi-seriously considered changing my name to Kassandra.

Yes, I know how that story ended.

12 Likes

It’s not even just the trans issues, either. We fucking told people in 2016 that not voting for Clinton would put Roe v Wade in jeopardy, and lots of people told us we were overreacting. You’d think they’d start listening at some point.

13 Likes

Yeah, very true. I’ve known you long enough from around here to know that you’ve pointed out how things could go… It was the same with abortion, too… sooooo many people just refused to believe Roe would even be overturned, and now women are fucking dead because we did not ensure the right to reproductive care…

Here in the states, at least, we need some explicit language to protect and enshrine the right to bodily autonomy for all of us (cis, trans, etc, etc)…

See Jon Ossoff GIF by Election 2020

People don’t seem to get how all of this are tied together, either… The same people who want cisgendered women to be housebound baby factories are the same shitheads who want trans people in the closet or worse… It’s maddening to be able to see these connections and have people just dismiss it out of hand. I swear to god, the whole ideology of individualism has given people some huge blindspots on the bigger picture…

13 Likes
10 Likes

Pick Me Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Is it because people are bigoted assholes? Bigoted assholes is the answer, right?

10 Likes

We know.

We know.

We know.

That is some new and fascinating definition of “transphilia” of which I was previously unaware. It’s transphobic. It’s denying someone a place in society or access to things they’ve worked for purely on the presumed basis of whether they’re trans. Whether or not they’re trans.

It’s also misogyny.

11 Likes

I am assuming this is supposed to read “transphobia?” Transphilia is something quite different.

@catsidhe

10 Likes

Okay… if you’re replying about the Jessie Gender video I posted… I know that Khelif is not trans. If you actually watched the video, you’ll see that Jessie addresses that quite well. But it’s still using a moral panic about trans people to attack Khelif. So, transphobia is still at play here, even if the woman at the center of the story is not trans herself. And of course it’s about misogyny… duh. :woman_shrugging: I dunno… Maybe try watching shit first before you make a judgement…

Anyway…

Asian American History GIF by PBS Digital Studios

11 Likes

As is so often the case, transphobia is used to police the bodies and activities of cis women as much or more so than trans. You must be conventionally attractive, not too strong, not too smart, not too accomplished. As we have discussed previously, the bodies of Olympic-level athletes are not, by definition, normal. They cannot be normal and do the things that make them Olympic athletes. But, of course, no one questions men about their broad shoulders, lung capacity or hormone levels. And this is inflicted upon any woman who violates the convention of appearance.

Cis Woman Mistaken as Transgender Records Being Berated in Bathroom (advocate.com)

Transphobia is being used as a tool to control women. Period. Not trans women, all women. And all women need to be aware of that.

10 Likes

Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

Our fortunes rise and fall together… Solidarity is the only way through…

11 Likes

I think the main reason this story has gotten so much traction is that Khelif is categorically NOT trans. Which sucks, but if it moves the conversation forward I’ll take it.

10 Likes

Just in case anyone thinks this is a new issue.

14 Likes

8 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

As soon as I saw a picture of the shooter, with his long, flowing locks of hair, I fucking knew the right was going to claim he was trans.

7 Likes