Today in transphobia (Part 1)

I don’t see why news outlets like Jezebel don’t just write critically thought and sternly worded emails to other news outlets and shame them for their bass-ackwardness directly.

Fuck You Ruben Rabasa GIF by The Lonely Island

6 Likes

“I believe every person is welcome and valued in Nashville. Enforcement of transphobic or homophobic laws is contrary to those values," District Attorney General Glenn Funk said in a statement Monday. “My office will not promote hate.”

10 Likes

Considering how many right wing sheriffs and DA’s have said they will refuse to enforce gun laws and such, there would seem to be very little room for them to criticize this guy. But that will not stop them, of course. IOKIYAR covers pretty much everything.

9 Likes

It really has been five years of constant attack, more if you include the build-up. I wake up with PTSD attacks regularly, I have nightmares about fascists and TERs breaking into my house, where I feel knives held against my throat. The last time I had those was when I was recovering from being attacked by fascists for most of 2004. These bastards are destroying peoples lives for their reactionary fantasies.

When nearly every news story about transgender looks like it was written for Der Stürmer, is it really any wonder trans people are having mental health problems?

14 Likes

I’m so sorry. I wish I could help somehow.

14 Likes

Averaging two a day. In just the one paper.
That doesn’t include the other papers and the magazine and online articles and Twitter campaigns and poster campaigns and protests and skewed news reports.

Of course, I’m only talking about the UK.

The pointless hate is everywhere.

14 Likes

It’s almost as if something happened five years ago that gave transphobic, homophobic and racist bigots an open season ticket to assault anyone not cis white. Even in my own tiny little sphere of nowhereville it’s been brought front and centre, whether that’s confronting idiots like him or people defending Rowling or the set designer of a play i saw a couple of years back telling me about the hundreds of names of murdered trans people she’d decorated a tree with for the set. I’ve come to be very fond of our little trans community on here so all i can say is you are heard and i will defend you wherever i can in my day to day.

11 Likes

Transphobia was bubbling up like a blocked sewer before Brexit, but now it has become a flood and no-one wants to fix the problem and clean it up. It’s far easier to blame the people who complain about dealing with shit everyday.

I have described transgender people as being canaries before, we are often among the first communities to be targeted for extermination by authoritarians because our existence breaks their rules. The Nazis did it, ISIL did it, Russia and Turkey are in the process of doing it right now. So is Britain, but they are further behind than the recognised dictatorships for now.

I have more to say, but I have run out of energy.

14 Likes

emergency hug GIF

15 Likes

Oh certainly, i didn’t want to pretend it’s all just happening in the last five years but as you know hate crimes have risen sharply in the last few years.

By the way, i was listening to Born a Girl again and wanted your thoughts on it. I mean i don’t think it directly addresses transgender issues as it’s more of a personal take from Nicky’s perspective but what do you think about it?

7 Likes

There was an interview where it was covered

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msppedia/index.php?title="We’ve_Never_Quite_Walked_It_Like_We’ve_Talked_It"_-_NME,_8th_August_1998

James: “If I get, ‘What a fucking poofter’ who fucking cares?” He curses. "Obviously I’m famous for not being androgynous like Nick and Richey were, so because I’m singing someone else’s emotions and ideals I have to describe it to people, like (addressing small child): “No, he’s not gay, no he’s not a Madam Jo-Jo TV, but he feels there’s no description for him.”

I can’t put a label like transgender on Nicky, only he can do that, but he might have been happier about it if he knew about non-binary at the time. It was early days for non-binary as a gender identity though, enbys were only just starting to form a sub-movement within the trans rights movement.

9 Likes

It’s a shame it takes so fucking long for language to finally describe people comfortably and then even longer for society to catch up.

9 Likes

I know that James in particular has struggled with playing it live and why it hasn’t been played live that much probably because he feels a bit disingenuous for singing it, or he has said something to that effect over the years. Now though they’d probably get someone in on guest vocals to perform it which feels about right to me. It’s just i think about that track when i read this thread and knowing you’re a Manics fan and always wondered if you had objections to it because you see some of the older stuff and it starts to get a wee bit dated but i think it’s sincere knowing what we know about them.

5 Likes

We have a questionnaire that we ask our teens to fill out, including a question about “do you consider yourself: straight, gay, bisexual, other.” Had a patient today cross the answers out and wrote in “independent.” I thought that was an excellent answer.

13 Likes

I applied for and was refused a GRC 15 years ago, after I was wrongly advised that losing most of the evidence of the date of my transition (when I escaped Carlisle) would not be a problem. After all the effort and expense I never bothered trying again.

13 Likes

Lets Go Reaction GIF

These hoops were created specifically to enforce things like a strict definition of “traditional” gender identity and sexual orientations… As Foucault would no doubt argue, it’s the state using its power of definition to outlaw the reality of lived gender identity by making sure it’s a binary and not the actual variety that exists and always has. And Conservatives (all over the world) who claim to want smaller government, want it to be big and large in specifically these sorts of things… But we need the state OUT of making decisions about things like this (other than just signing off on the documentation that people need changed) and we need them to protect the rights of folks who are not cisgendered.

14 Likes

At the risk of repeating myself, this is the underlying fallacy that leads to all the others. In nature nothing is binary. Everything exists on a spectrum and we are no different. The sooner we recognize this, the happier we will all be.

15 Likes

Sassy Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

10 Likes

The voter ID legislation that the Tories insist on forging ahead with makes more sense when you think about how it’ll further disenfranchise trans and non-binary people. It’s a non-existant problem looking for a solution unless the problem is “How can we stop those who would never vote for us voting for someone else?”.

8 Likes

Oh for fucks sake…

10 Likes