Today is the 50th anniversary of Dock Ellis's legendary baseball no-hitter on LSD

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/13/today-is-the-50th-anniversary.html

7 Likes

Have you ever looked at your glove? I mean really looked at it?

28 Likes

Wish it was possible to watch that game…

10 Likes

Two things…

First, a general rule of thumb is I would argue against using LSD in the workplace unless you know what you’re doing. Dock Ellis, Jerry Garcia et al. apparently knew what they were doing.

Second, I have trouble judging distances while tripping, and I couldn’t imagine executing a perfect game while under the influence. But also to be fair I’ve never actually pushed my physical limits and explored the confluence of muscle memory and the twirling, dancing whatever-the-fuck an acid trip is all about.

5 Likes

Wasn’t a perfect game. He walked 8 batters and hit 1, and apparently Pirates defense bailed him out on a few plays.

Still, a no hitter is remarkable under any circumstances. Even more remarkable when the pitcher is dosed.

5 Likes

In fact, with 8 WALKS, it may be the most un-perfect no hitter ever. Although, not as bad as the few people who have thrown a no-hitter and LOST.

But regardless… completely astonishing accomplishment.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

6 Likes

There should be a Dock Ellis LSD mode on all baseball video games.

8 Likes

It’s really hard to hit the ball when it phases out on the way to the plate.

2 Likes

I had to google this and yay it’s a thing!

6 Likes

I was wondering too.

2 Likes

Ellis also regaled the tale for a 2009 NPR interview

No, he regaled NPR listeners with the tale. It’s whoever is hearing a story that’s the object of “regale”. The story is the indirect object.

I concede I’m being pedantic here. I’m just trying to help. (You know that sentence sounded off.)

4 Likes

In fact, with 8 WALKS, it may be the most un-perfect no hitter ever.

I didn’t see the Ellis no-hitter, but I saw this one live and it basically defined un-perfect.

@thomdunn appreciate you linking the Daulerio Deadspin article instead of the Zombie Undeadspin version.

2 Likes

While on LSD; possibly the only way that a casual spectator of baseball can really enjoy the game.

The tobacco-chewing third-baseman spat out a whale. Enormous fairy circles formed then opened up in the outfield, swallowing the center-fielder and part of the bleachers. Bullpen pitchers held a tea party, drinking Earl Grey from their athletic cups. The Cubs won the World Series. (Ignore that last one.)

… while on LSD.

3 Likes

(Die hard Sox fan) Jay Burnett’s no no was a bit uglier, but I watched Bucholz’ no no live and goddamn, I’ll never witness something like that again.

In fairness to both, the walk totals were influenced in part by some nasty sinkers (Burnett) and deuces (Buch) that were just a bit too nasty. I’m still a little bummed that Clay got the yips so soon into his career. His curve had legend potential…

2 Likes

I’ve been to a lot of baseball games and have only seen one no-hitter (below). Missed one by one day for a game we were supposed to go to when Lincecum no hit the Padres.

2 Likes

There’s an excellent documentary about Dock Ellis titled, ‘No No: A Dockumentary’. Here’s the trailer:

As someone growing up in Pittsburgh is the 70’s, Dock really scared most white Americans. We went to a lot of Pirate games.

4 Likes

meanwhile, i once ate mushrooms and watched a baseball game and had no fucking clue what was happening

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.