Today is The Rock's birthday

Originally published at: Today is The Rock's birthday | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Of all the ethically horrid celebrities that Hollywood has inflicted upon the world, it’s refreshing to see The Rock as a counter-example. He doesn’t shoot his mouth off, he doesn’t bad-mouth his co-workers, he seems to live as an honestly good person. And he’s always cognizant of his audience, because he knows his children are watching (or expects they will be watching in the near future.)

He’s the kind of guy you can respect even if you disagree with his position.

Happy birthday, Mr. Johnson!

14 Likes

Ages ago I learned that The Rock’s favorite food is cupcakes tophat-biggrin

Happy Birthday, Mr Johnson!

10 Likes

Season 5 GIF by The Simpsons

9 Likes

What I like about him is not just that he seems like a legit good guy himself, but the way he promotes other people in a sweet inclusive way.

Plus his shit-talking in Baywatch; boy was that an underrated fun movie!

8 Likes

He and Jason Momoa are regulars up here in Joshua Tree. Never once seen either turn down a photo or not take a minute to mug with the little folks. Nice Gents.

14 Likes

Have you been watching Young Rock? It’s quite brilliant. Painfully honest about his father’s shortcomings as well as his own, has an incredible diverse cast (it does kind of gloss over the sins of Macho Man and Iron Sheik, though) and is genuinely funny with a great concept: Dwayne at three different ages which it flips back and forth among to great narrative effect. It’s funny that you post a video of him singing and playing guitar because the latest episode is about his family’s time in Nashville while his dad was working for Jerry Lawler. Apparently he fancied himself a country singer before getting chased off the street for horning in on other buskers.

Edited to correct Memphis to Nashville. I was confusing it with Lawler’s work in Memphis around the same time. Also, I don’t think they were working for Lawler at the time.

10 Likes

Jr. Kidd and I are watching Young Rock. I didn’t think I’d like it, but it hooked me on the first episode we saw (which may not have been the first ep). Randall Park was definitely part of the hook, that guy does oblivious weirdness to perfection. Johnson seems to have made the effort to never forget the low points and seems very grateful for what he has. :+1::+1::slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Can you smell what the Rock is cooking?

13 Likes

I would say that that is the main theme of the entire show. Well put.

7 Likes

The Rock’s insane discipline around fitness and EPIC cheat days are inspiring.

8 Likes

When you memorized his 1st rap song did you do the horrible racist Chinese accent?

2 Likes
3 Likes

it’s a no to drinking and baking then…

4 Likes

Mr Johnson has always been very open about his depression, particularly when the football team cut him, and he could see nothing of his future. tophat-cry

Wrestling saved his life, and he is now a much, much happier person :smiley:

2 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.