Today's mass shootings

I was really hoping it would close itself.

I’m sure you know that Memorial day is traditionally the start of Chicago’s bbq shooting season.

The fiance of a friend of mine was gunned down for no reason over memorial weekend 2012. Never solved. Not mentioned in the story was that he was coming back from a store after going to get diapers. Took a shortcut through a park and got blasted in the head.

15 Likes

That’s a horrible story, and I hope everyone is at least over the acute stages of grief at this point. Obviously they’ll never be the same. And the poor baby, growing up without a dad!

Can I ask: which park? I know the area, so I’m trying to envision where he could be walking from a store, cut through a park, and then be shot on 68th. I have to assume Jackson Park, but that’s a weird cut-through to get diapers, if you know what I mean.

This is just me being curious since I know the neighborhood. You might not even know!

8 Likes

I dont, sorry. The article said he was at a party though, which seems odd. I was going off what I was told.

7 Likes

Well of course they said he was at a party. Isn’t that what young black men do? I mean, they don’t shop for essentials for their family, come on now. /s

It’s amazing they didn’t say he was wearing a hoodie, etc.

Though I will say, Jackson Park Highlands is a beautiful area with a lot of incredible homes, and very family oriented. There’s only so many negative stereotypes you could attach to a young black man who was shot there, because it isn’t, for example, West Englewood, and all the locals would know that.

In fact, that’s what makes this story even more heartbreaking: he wasn’t cutting through a dangerous section of town, he was in a very nice family neighborhood. He should have felt reasonably safe. But he wasn’t.

8 Likes
15 Likes

God dammit.

14 Likes

Far right booger boys kill police during this time of protests - where’s the call for the National Guard to protect us from them?

15 Likes
16 Likes

Did the 8 victims all transport themselves to the hospital because none of them wanted to incur the additional cost of paying for the ambulance ride?

Just pointing out the priority list one has to attend to in the States, after being shot.

18 Likes

“Hmm. I’ve been shot in the left leg, which means I can’t drive my 6-speed car. Enterprise rental car costs $35/day, and they will pick me up here. Let’s assume I’m in the hospital for 2 days, that’s $70, plus gas, plus assorted fees, just under $100. Yeah, that’s much, much cheaper than an ambulance. Somebody hold my t-shirt on the bullet wound while I call for a rental car…”

14 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes

This thread was very quiet when things were shut down. I guess we gotta get back to “normal”, eh?

16 Likes

This isn’t a mass shooting, but I’m not sure where else to put this. Maybe we need a Disturbing If True topic.

The WaPo article links to a Hope Not Hate profile on the Order of Nine Angles. I’ve linked the profile below; trigger warning: it’s disturbing and has multiple references to sexual assault.

This is the first I’ve heard of O9A. I thought at first that I was seeing a recurrence of the '80s Satanic Panic, but the profile seems well–researched and O9A apparently has links to other extreme groups that I have heard of, like National Action and Atomwaffen Division. O9A seems like the worst possible combination of all the worst things people can be. Have any of you heard of them? How prevalent are they? Am I just leading an incredibly sheltered existence?

11 Likes

This story is also over in the Gallery of Trumpian assholes thread:

I had heard of them before, and @KathyPartdeux was able to find the link to where:

And this book is a good study of white supremacy in some neo-pagan circles, which I think mentions them:

13 Likes

Thanks!

I’m going to want to hide in the bunker tonight, aren’t I?

I wish I had a bunker.

8 Likes

In this case, the guy got arrested, so that’s good news. And this organization is small and esoteric enough that I doubt they’ll ever get anything substantial off the ground really.

Of course, it can sometimes come down to the right person in the right place…

10 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes