Today's mass shootings

Always promising, never delivering…

10 Likes

snl s reactions GIF

Hatecore was nothing but oi music.

9 Likes

If I were living my best life, I’d live in that town with the taco trucks on every corner and all would have fresh made-that-day tortillas, and there’d be fresh horchata trucks next to all of them!

And uh a million carritos de paletas everywhere right now.

MUST…

[falls to the ground]

10 Likes

What are you griping about? Friday and Saturday don’t even get out of the 90s! That’s practically Autumn weather right there.

6 Likes

In good mass shooting related news, the Tops store in Buffalo is reopening with a host of improvements and renovations:

Including a memorial wall:
The renovations and reopening are great as that store was in a historically under-served low-income neighborhood and a quality grocery store is really needed and deserved for both the residents is serves and the jobs it continues to provide.

Speaking of jobs:

Tops said 76% of store employees are coming back to work at the Jefferson Avenue store, adding an additional 10% are interested in returning but aren’t ready yet.

12 Likes

Does 4 dead including the shooter still count as a mass shooting?

10 Likes

the best thing about a good guy with a gun is the way he’s able to magically suck bullets out of other shoppers and give them their lives back. thank goodness indiana keeps loosening their gun laws or nobody would have been able to be a hero today

9 Likes

Not the way you phrased it exactly (shooter doesn’t count) but it does sound like two others were shot but survived (no one has to die for it to be a mass shooting), so still is a mass shooting.

(cf. https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/methodology )

8 Likes

Sort of nauseating the way media outlets call him a “Good Samaritan”:

I guess I missed that part of the parable where the Samaritan dresses the stranger’s wounds with wine and oil, and then goes out to kill the priest and Levite.

14 Likes

They have to call him good, because that’s the whole basis for the narrative. The Samaritan part is due to only learning the Bible at summer bible camp, so never actually having to understand any of it.

5 Likes

yeah, i mean don’t get me wrong: it sounds like he saved lives. it just wouldn’t have been necessary at all if our country had meaningful gun control laws.

now we have two killers: the mass shooter and this man, when there didn’t have to be any at all. and everyone is extremely lucky he didn’t hit anyone else, and that the cops - or other armed vigilantes - didn’t shoot him

i hope he gets plenty of therapy. murder isn’t good for the soul.

13 Likes

Agree on all points. I was just shocked/not shocked at the laziness of the rip 'n read press to propagate the “Good Samaritan” moniker. I wonder if even one of the underpaid staffers who cut and pasted an entire story into their site had even a passing thought that just maybe “Good Samaritan” is not quite the metaphor we’re looking for here.

5 Likes

Holy shit, this is terrible. Another intersection of mental health and domestic abuse, sounds like.

13 Likes
20 Likes

idris elba snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

13 Likes

Remember back when this was a very quiet thread? Yeah, good times.

12 Likes

A well-written op-ed from a 16/17yo in Texas:

17 Likes

speaking of uvalde. the boys club ( i’m assuming ) still can’t bring themselves to fire the police chief

and worse, he can’t bring himself to resign. being a cop is the only job where you can fail so completely and horribly, and still no one can touch you

16 Likes

Iowa really has gone down the shitter after I left. This is not the state I left in 1987. I grew up in and around Dubuque and Galena, and I did not see a firearm until I joined the Army. Sure, I had classmates in high school who had hunting rifles, but they were only mentioned.

Republicans really are bad for your health. And fuck Terry Bransted, the guy was worst fucking governor when I left, was one of the reasons I decided to stay in Europe and not return home, and somehow that total fuckup managed to return to that office again? He’s in a league of awfulness down there with Abbott and DeSantis.

Nope. I’ve been over here in Europe for over three decades, and I am not returning.

14 Likes
13 Likes