Today's mass shootings

teaching how to do stage drag safely and respectfully should be celebrated. wild how that’s the worry, and not something like bullying, gun culture, or the toxic behaviors that are actually getting people killed. :confused:

16 Likes

Edit: The old one wasn’t great, either.

4 Likes

But they’re historical behaviours and America is kinda based on that.
Drag has a longer history though so maybe I’m wrong and it’s just assholes being assholes.

10 Likes

Fair enough, it got worse from a really, really low bar.

9 Likes

yeah, drag predates firearms by quite a bit ( though lip syncing is probably new :microphone: )

i’m not really good with them claiming “tradition” on anything, given how white washed history is, and how little they know about actual historical events. whether it’s the “war between the states”, women’s roles, contributions of lgbtq individuals, the role of poc in building america, or even the bible: conservatives make up what they want to believe, and then say that’s how it’s always been. the past doesn’t agree with them nearly as often as they’d like

10 Likes

This site has lots of information about the shooter like…

Heavy has confirmed that Aldrich is the grandson of outgoing Republican State Assemblymember Randy Voepel, the former mayor of Santee, California. Voepel represents the 71st district in the San Diego area. There were calls to expel Voepel from the state Assembly after he made comments comparing the January 6 attacks to the Revolutionary War. Aldrich’s mother, Laura Voepel, has written posts praising Randy Voepel on Facebook and confirming he is her father.

10 Likes
14 Likes

17 Likes
5 Likes

Just like adding more roads never eases congestion, adding more guns never increases personal security. In this, at least, let America be your guide,
ETA, guide in what not to do.

10 Likes

Guide? Or warning, because our increasingly dystopian landscape is nothing to emulate.

11 Likes
20 Likes

The Finnish Defence Forces conscript men and those who complete the training are supposed to be reservists until they age out. They also practice a concept called total defence. The “it will help against Russia” argument might make slightly more sense in the context of a society which designs bridges to be blown up to slow Russian invasion.

But without more details, it still doesn’t make sense to me.

3 Likes

That account also had a screenshot of a New York Times article mentioning how the shooter was subdued quickly. The Guardian published that, too.

1 Like

Gillian’s, you mean? She’s good people.

7 Likes

I don’t know who wrote this poem but it is beautiful.

19 Likes

They’ve charged the Colorado Springs shooter with hate crimes, but sealed the records in the evidence to prove motivation. That kind of stuff is usually released, even if just partially.

It makes me wonder if they did that because it leads to others.

15 Likes

Other potential shooters? That is horrifying but not surprising.

I also wish I wasn’t so jaded.

14 Likes
18 Likes

look inward

Jim Carrey Omg GIF

17 Likes