Today's mass shootings

And this is the ONLY thing that Republicans have proposed to “fix” mass shootings… dealing with mental health. Surprise, it was all obfuscating bullshit on their part. They have no interest in fixing any problems. And yet, far too many of us keep pretending like both parties are bad…

joanna lumley rage GIF

6 Likes
2 Likes

But it’s Texas! Harassing people with a firearm is a God-given right!

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

2 Likes

Sounds like there was multiple failures of the authorities at play here… :rage:

3 Likes

ETA: it’s really sad how easy it is for people to accept the right wing framing of trans people

8 Likes

This misinformation happened right here, in fact, which should alert us all to the fact that none of us are immune to this shit.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Far-right extremists fueled unsubstantiated, false narratives

So, day ending in “y?” They really have only one play in their book. FUD and DARVO. Two, two plays in their book, FUD, DARVO and the Comfy Chair. Three…

4 Likes
2 Likes

Apparently, there’s been a shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs’ victory parade.

CNN live updates: Live updates: Multiple victims in shooting near Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade

At the time of posting this, up to 10 people injured, two armed people taken into custody. More and more accurate information will no doubt come later.

1 Like
1 Like

Check out Mr. Meh.

People are hitting the deck and he’s just chill.

1 Like

One dead and more than 20 injured in Super Bowl parade shooting
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-68300903

3 Likes

From the BBC report:
“But the Super Bowl, a uniquely American cultural event, has been marred by another one: a mass shooting.”

5 Likes

A mass shooting isn’t a cultural event, but some fucker got their giggles with their clever-to-them wordplay about a murder, so I guess that’s the important thing.

5 Likes

It is for some people. They have a whole set of traditions around them – offering thoughts and prayers, saying how more guns could have helped, trying to see how they can put blame on anyone other than cis white men. Reporters do this “two Americas” nonsense all the time and, well, that is the fascist culture one of them means.

9 Likes

Mass shootings are a disgusting and obvious result of American gun culture, but I still have to push back on the idea of mass shootings as a cultural event. There is a predictable response to them, sure. The people who try to uphold and protect American gun culture do the exact things you mentioned every time, and the media response is always the same, and nowhere near critical enough.

To me, cultural events are celebrations of something. I’m sure that there are cultural events tied to gun culture. NRA conventions, gun shows, lunches with lobbyists. Whatever. Maybe my understanding of the phrase cultural events is lacking. Referring to mass shootings as cultural events makes me angry (angrier), though. Maybe that was the writer’s aim, but to me it comes off as above-it-all while people are dying bullshit.

9 Likes

Well, they it’s just dumb Americans who got shot, who deserve it, because we did it to ourselves… /s

Nah, because honestly, anyone who wants to go shoot up a big crowd is just a nihilistic asshole who wants to destroy rather than build anything up…

11 Likes

Not how I read @chenille’s comment. Not that is a cultural event for the shooter, but for the gun nuts who flock around when one happens. “Thoughts and prayers,” “Lone wolf” or “Terrorist” (based on skin tone, of course), “Only a good guy with a gun,” even “Crisis actors” have all become sort of mindless responses to these from that end of society. I don’t know if this makes the cut for an actual “cultural event,” but it certainly features some of the trappings of the ones that do qualify.

11 Likes

I don’t know if I can buy that kind of nihilism as a “cultural event” (the defense of gun worship), honesty…

8 Likes