Today's mass shootings

Truly not my field, just a layman’s interpretation. If it is, it would be a very, very weird one. But the stereotyped responses seem like the benediction of a very twisted church.

7 Likes

That’s how I meant it. I guess you can’t have a full culture that way, but they’ve really built their whole subculture around the idea of tearing things down and hurting people. In a perverse way though even the shootings themselves are celebrations of that – they may be killed in the end, but it shows that nobody takes away a supreme gentleman’s sacred right to destroy others first. :frowning:

And saying it that way should make you angry, because there shouldn’t be an identity based on disregarding the lives of others, but I can’t see any better way to describe it.

9 Likes

The report about Kansas City on Democracy Now was immediately followed by another that was surprising:

Some parents of mass shooting victims are using AI to recreate their voices and send messages to legislators:

:astonished: :cry:

4 Likes

Welp, we made it like 48 hours. (*)

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/16/us/colorado-springs-shooting-university-of-colorado/

No onebox.

Colorado Springs police investigate college dorm shooting as double homicide

Two shooting deaths at the University of Colorado’s campus in Colorado Springs Friday morning are being investigated as a double homicide, police said.

The shooting “does not appear to be a murder-suicide,” the Colorado Springs Police Department said Friday evening.

“We are continuing to develop and follow investigative leads and will provide additional information when it becomes available,” the department said in a post on X.

(* Not really, I’m sure there’s many that haven’t been covered here. :frowning: )

11 Likes
10 Likes

… “mass shooting” usually means at least four

Single and double shootings happen every few minutes

6 Likes

I know, still thought it was worth sharing. Maybe it doesn’t count against the “record” but I’m still depressed and disheartened.

9 Likes

16 Likes

This one could be just as well about peak Covid.

13 Likes

Oh, geez, you’re right! Minus Uncle Sam saying “it’s semi-automatic”, there’s no other indication to tie the image to ONLY mass shootings.

And I’ve been saying for the past few years that the only right Americans are willing to fight and even die for is the right to be able to kill other people without repercussions. And here it is, in one cartoon.

16 Likes

All eight of the victims are juveniles, according to a source.

12 Likes

The incident marks the fourth day in a row a SEPTA bus was involved in a shooting,

:frowning_with_open_mouth:

10 Likes

… But in the weeks following the shooting, that story changed as information released through media reports and lawmakers’ findings illustrated the botched law enforcement response.

At least five officers who had been on the scene have lost their jobs, including two department of public safety officers and the on-site commander, Pete Arredondo, the former school police chief. No officers have faced criminal charges.

10 Likes
6 Likes

And now this…

7 Likes

See, whatever they did, the department’s policies weren’t violated, because the policy leaves it up to the officer to determine what action to take. So whatever an officer does, it can never be a violation of the policy. Fire them all, let the courts sort them out.

3 Likes

First, those newly-jobless will probably sue for wrongful termination. Might have to see what their contracts say. Maybe they were hired at-will.

It is hard for me to imagine, knowing what I know about Texas courts including county judges, whether justice, or anything worthy of that name, can be had here and now. Let us keep in mind that in Texas, county judges are elected for four year terms:

https://www.galvestoncountytx.gov/our-county/county-judge/about-the-office

… and lord help us, we are definitely in an election year. Just to give y’all some more of a picture of whassup in Uvalde County, this is from the 2020 general election:

Grieving families and friends want justice. Their first safety net–the police force in their community–failed them. One of the grieving mothers ran for mayor and lost.

Then the inquiry and report failed them.

Every failure in the Texas justice system is a fresh attack, a fresh wounding of people who are already hurting. How the bereaved keep on living and seeking justice is beyond my ability to comprehend.

12 Likes

16 Likes

Whaddya know? Turns out there really is a connection between domestic violence and mass shootings. Imagine that.

12 Likes

This is my shocked face: :neutral_face:

11 Likes