Tokyo's famed Ghibli Museum is asking for donations to stay afloat

Originally published at: Tokyo's famed Ghibli Museum is asking for donations to stay afloat | Boing Boing

3 Likes

We just booked our first ever trip to Japan for next year, and this museum is on our list. I’ve been wanting to visit since it opened 20 years ago, hopefully this helps keep them going until they’re able to run normally.

ETA, looks like, since they’ve met their goal, the extra is going to support “Tokuma Memorial Cultural Foundation for Animation, the museum’s legal operator for which Studio Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki is chairman.”

4 Likes

Whew, I’m glad they met their funding goal. I’m not a fan of anime, but even I found this museum magical when we visited in 2018.

3 Likes

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to make a donation. Anyone know?

2 Likes

We tried to visit the museum in advance of a 2015 trip to Tokyo. It was quite impossible to secure tickets, even months ahead of time.

3 Likes

For anyone trying, from my 2018 experience, JTB travel agencies sell them 3 months in advance with a significant upcharge, or you can buy them through Lawson’s convenience stores online at face value, but they only open sales for 45-day windows and tickets sell out in 20 minutes or less. I had to be poised over the keyboard at the exact moment they opened and constantly refreshing my browser as if trying to secure a prime room for GenCon.

3 Likes

Same here… google translate led me to hometown tax payment.
I guess all we need is a Japanese hometown address!

hey, take it from a pro, call the museum with your best japanese and ask for a reservation. now. reserve for next year. if you wait too long … the outside of the museum is just lovely.

1 Like

The address of the place you pay japanese taxes: address of airport in tokyo with ATTN: you. You’ve got this!

1 Like

Maybe they could ask Disney for a donation.

1 Like

Or get a donation from John Lasseter. He may be exiled, but he’s undoubtedly still very rich. There’s video of him as a huge fanboy around Miyazaki. (Don’t seek it out unless you like dominance stuff. HM is so obviously unwilling to be lapped at by a puppy-like JL. So cringy!)

1 Like

i absolutely love Ghibli, and I have been to this delightful place, but a museum centered around a studio owned by the largest media company in the world asking for handouts is a bit… rich.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.