Tom Cruise flips his lid on set over broken Covid protocols

Did they wheel out a couch for him to jump up and down on?

But seriously, he is at least right about this.

5 Likes

“That’s a great monologue, Mr. Cruise, but I feel like we could tighten it up in a few spots. You know, eliminate some repetition, maybe edit for clarity there near the end. There’s some stressed emotion in the delivery that feels uncontrolled, too. Gotta hit the simmer harder and wait til the end for the boil. Let’s try it again, but this time let’s visualize little baby Xenu getting hungry while being ignored… yes, before he built his hydrogen bombs.”

9 Likes

Precisely. For all the ways Hollywood royalty abuse their influence and privilege, this is an example of how they should be using it. His clear anger about the thousands of jobs they are putting at risk by being lax is not only refreshing, but very humanizing and empathetic. Righteous rant.

It’s not for their safety per se, but the safety of the residents of the location they are shooting in. I don’t know what their crew size is, but a cruise ship holds thousands of people. I doubt they have more than 100 or so on location. Plenty of room to stay safe.

21 Likes

Movie and production sets are notorious for bad practices on Covid.

2 Likes

Agreed, 100%. In the midst of a lot of doofuses who are saying “open the economy now, no matter the cost,” Cruise is clearly thinking about the consequences of this. I’m not a big fan of “bosses cursing and screaming” but this definitely isn’t “megastar gone crazy.”

16 Likes

Mission Impossible movies, which just pushes the question further along.

3 Likes

Yeah, screaming is ineffective and counter-productive 99% of the time, but it sure is effective at selling the gravity of a situation sometimes.

7 Likes

Regardless of whatever weirdness surrounds the guy, I have friends who have worked on his sets and they have said that Cruise is actually very good to his crews.

26 Likes

In this case it may be that fear of losing one’s gig at a time when most people in this industry are idle may be a good thing if it keeps their masks up and distances observed.

4 Likes

While I don’t condone egotistical primadona behavior, I can understand being pissed off when other people are careless regarding potential spread.

That said, maybe the better point is HE SHOULD NOT BE MAKING A MOVIE DURING A FUCKING PANDEMIC.

Especially not another tedious-ass MI sequel.

That’s NOT an essential need.

20 Likes

Perhaps because it has far fewer occupants than in normal use?

2 Likes

Onion Newsflash: Privileged white asshole loses his shit over something actually worth losing your shit over, for once

10 Likes

That was my first thought, too, but since we USAians can’t get our shit together, chances are all those people wouldn’t be getting a paycheck right now if not for the filming. Part of his rant was about how stressed he is keeping “the industry alive” and people employed.

And agree with the “if I’m agreeing with Tom Cruise, 2020 is officially weirdest year of my life,” feelings noted by others!

22 Likes

Because he is a producer on the show. It is his job to run it.

3 Likes

Oh great, now Tom Cruise is the voice of reason.

5 Likes

A list actor loses it on set. Tabloid fodder to be sure. But wait. He is absolutely right to chew these guys out. In fact as a producer on the show it is his job to make sure the production runs smoothly and safely.

6 Likes

You might even say it’s risky business. And while some outsiders might dismiss this as just another case of a Hollywood top gun losin’ it, I think it adds to Cruise’s legend; he’s showing all the right moves here. This is far and away the best response I’ve seen to a Covid breach of protocol on a film set, and shows that Cruise is worried about the health of the crew, not just the color of money (though I’m sure Cruise himself could well afford a monoclonal antibody cocktail if he did contract Covid). You’d have to have your eyes wide shut not to see that.
It’s good to know there’s still a few good men out there.

25 Likes

Yeah… I’m sure it’s solely pure altruism for others that’s motivating him.

10 Likes

“It’s pretty much an impossible mission to get even a few good men, let alone the others, to follow an American made cocktail which taps into all the right moves of the risky business that is a potential virus oblivion. Without limits, Tom has far and away endless love for his staff, losin’ it only when the fallout of filming became more about the color of money than the color of safety. He has taken the ideal of the firm from oblivion to the edge of tomorrow, with little collateral. This forward thinking, contrary to the rogue nation we find ourselves in, would make a positive minority report, although the majority would probably walk over shattered glass to narc on his days of thunder.”

According to his Mummy.

10 Likes

Let’s not get carried away. :wink:

10 Likes