Tom Cruise flips his lid on set over broken Covid protocols

My first thought: Damn you 2020, don’t make me utter the words “Tom Cruise was right!”

10 Likes

Communicating this has been one of the great failures of authorities (almost) everywhere. Before there was a mask mandate, people were being told wear a mask where physical distancing is not possible. If that is your starting point, it is hard to get people to accept doing both.

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s the part that’s easy to gloss over when some folks are less interested in nuance or messy reality. It’s incredibly easy to sit behind a computer doing a job that can be done remotely and declare that these folks shouldn’t be there in the first place (made easier by Tom Cruise being less than sympathetic, rightfully so), but if you’re one of the caterers or set builders or production assistants or other hundred blue-collar folks who make a living in the entertainment industry, it’s probably somewhat “essential” that they pay their mortgage and buy food for their kids to eat. In a much better world, they’d be getting checks from the federal government to stay home, but that’s not the world we live in, unfortunately.

IF (and this is a very important IF) the production is taking all the precautions that it seems they were, then anybody who is being less than careful puts all that in jeopardy, both in terms of safety and economy.

14 Likes

Same - I’ve heard several stories about him being a good guy on set. I think he’s a big weirdo, probably even more than most people with his level of fame, money, and success, but he was in the right here. And I’m generally vehemently against yelling in the workplace.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Slow clap.

6 Likes

Was he worried about the spread of Covid or having Thetans jump from one person to another?

1 Like

If I was worth a few hundred million dollars I’d be doing this on a daily basis on the shoppers in stores I visit. HEY DOOFUS THE MASK HAS TO GO OVER YOUR NOSE!!!

4 Likes

Word; broken clock syndrome.

7 Likes

Yeah, personal weirdness aside, Cruise has a reputation for being an absolute professional on set. He works his ass off and elevates everyone around him. This is one reason he’s going to keep making movies: he’s really, really good at making movies.

8 Likes

Happy to see that someone still cares about safety measures, sorry to hear that Mission Impossible has gone as far as version 7.

4 Likes

Because he is genuinely an exceptional actor and stuntman, whatever else you might think about him

4 Likes

That is the kind of entitled Hollywood rant I can get behind.

3 Likes

Well one thing’s for sure, scientology is not anger management.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I could personally manage to get through 2021 without another mission impossible move to ignore.

However I’m not super into following what actors and such are doing, so really all you need is a movie poster to convince me that I have yet again not seen a MI movie.

So on second thought you are correct, the movie isn’t essential, just the poster.

1 Like

It’s to acclimate the staff for future recruitment into the Sea Org.

5 Likes

I mean, no one should be screaming at coworkers/colleagues/employees, especially when the one yelling has half a billion dollars and the person getting screamed at is, like, bringing egg rolls to everyone or holding a light.

But he’s not wrong.

5 Likes

I’m going to go as far as saying the movie industry is why Cruise is so pally with Scientology. There’s a lot of money to be tapped, and I imagine the weekly vig for Cruise is pretty damn large. Gotta keep that money boat afloat!

8 Likes

I have absolutely no problems whatsoever with him losing it on the movie set over something as serious as this. In fact, I applaud him for this tantrum, as it’s fully justified.

2 Likes

He’s a full-fledged member of that cult, IIRC.

7 Likes