Tom Steyer quits Democratic race

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/02/tom-steyer-quits-democratic-ra.html

2 Likes

Steyer was my alternate choice behind Bernie and Yang. I’m sad to see him go but I hope very much he finds a place in Bernie’s cabinet appointments after he wins the election.

I don’t get the timing. It’s like dropping out of school the day before grades come out. Not that I think there would have been a great surprise for Steyer, but who knows. Pete & Amy, maybe.

I must be missing something because I can’t see any harm in waiting a day or two to see how things shake out on Tuesday. Or does it just come down to, “this is how ‘Boss Tweed’ wants it?”

4 Likes

Perhaps someone else has mentioned this in one of the other drop-out threads, but in many of the super Tuesday states, early voting has already started, which means that a whole load of people have just had their choices eliminated before their votes have even been counted.

3 Likes

The notion that Bernie would ever decide to put a billionaire whose credentials for running for office were “I’m a billionaire” in his cabinet is genuinely the funniest thing I’ve read today, so thanks for that.

15 Likes

He dropped out Saturday after his third-place, no-delegates finish in SC.

3 Likes

He was way better than Bloomberg

10 Likes

That’s a low bar.

7 Likes

Adios d-bag. And take NOJO with you.

That’s still at least a couple hundred million bucks short of what the other billionaire candidate spent to buy himself a spot on the ballot. If your whole platform is based on “I’m a Billionaire!” then you’d better at least be the most successful billionaire in the race.

4 Likes

Uh, why?

he seemed like a nice enough guy, and he certainly handles the debate stage better than Captain Tone Deaf, but still – no thank you to people buying their way to the nomination.

3 Likes

I’m not a big fan but he debated thoughtfully, had progressive policies and could linguistically get out of his own way, unlike Biden or Bloomberg. He and Yang both came across as perfectly acceptable options - and would’ve seemed exceptional by the standards of 2016.

Do I prefer Sanders? Hells yes.

2 Likes

No problem. I’m open to the concept of a wealthy individual also being a progressive as I don’t think you’re forced to check your humanity at the door upon amassing a fortune. Steyer didn’t have any skeletons in his closet and generally acquitted himself admirably.

3 Likes

Who’s that, then?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.