Amy Klobuchar quits Democratic race

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/02/amy-klobuchar-quits-democratic.html

3 Likes

super tuesday is expensive.

Oddly enough, the only ads I’ve seen are those from the plutocrat

March 3 states: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Virginia

6 Likes

So moderates have to choose between Biden or Bloomberg now? Well isn’t that lovely.

Well I have to give her some credit for picking the significantly less insane of the two.

14 Likes

Definitely feels like they’re trying to clear the right wing of the field to limit vote dilution.

15 Likes

Moderates would not support Biden or Bloomberg. They are not moderate. They are pretty far right.

24 Likes

You don’t think there’s a constituency for
“like trump, but actually competent?”

Yeah that’s the case. Yang pretty much called it a few weeks ago

11 Likes

Go, Bernie, go!!!

17 Likes

Now we just need racist bloomberg to drop out.

13 Likes

And, sadly, Warren, so her delegates can go to Bernie.

6 Likes

we mock the republicans but democrats really had quite the clown car too, so much money was extracted from the economy by so many who knew months ago it was implausible

via old.reddit.com/r/PresidentialRaceMemes

11 Likes

I guess Bloomberg’s vote will be the answer to that!

3 Likes

This “moderate” (which, I take it, now means “anybody who is not smitten by Bernie”) will support whichever one of them is still standing, if the alternative is Bernie, though I’d certainly much rather have Biden (or Warren, if she somehow manages to reverse her nosedive) than authoritarian-lite Bloomberg. (I’d’ve much rather had Klobuchar than any of them, but that ship sailed several weeks ago.)

Bernie will get my vote in November if he’s the nominee, and he’ll get my money if he becomes the nominee. Not one instant before on either count, though.

I’m not sure what or whom this kind of silly reductionism serves, but it’s sure not helping the cause of making sure Trump gets replaced in November–any more than would silly reductionism like “Bernie is like Castro, but less competent.” (In case it’s not clear from the context of that sentence, I don’t think Bernie is like Castro. The question of his competence is yet to be settled, though.)

If nothing else, neither Biden nor Bloomberg would appoint “originalist” judges like Gorsuch and Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. Justices Ginsburg, Breyer, and Thomas will not live forever, and even if they did, they will not want to serve on the Court forever. [[EDIT: For Pete’s sake: to be clear, I know Thomas is a conservative… but, as with the Senate, the Democrats are going to need to pick up some currently conservative seats on the Supreme Court, and Thomas is very senior and not in terribly good health. He would likely retire during a second Trump term so that he could ensure his replacement would be a 40-year-old with a similar outlook.]]

10 Likes

I mean, I’m a Minnesotan and even I chuckled when I saw the top 3 stories:

18 Likes

this is NOT looking good for the Progressive vote.

3 candidates in 24 hours right before super tuesday? These people have been campaigning for months and decided to dip out the day before they can know their true viability?

This smells like Tom Perez all over it.

5 Likes

Really, 72 hours. Despite the late story in Boing’s feed, Steyer quit Saturday after South Carolina.

Uh, no. The writing has been on the wall for all three of them for at least several weeks.

6 Likes

I disagree.

I’m part of that contingent and at this point I just want Trump gone. Nothing big will be able to pass until until Democrats have firm control of both houses and the presidency. Today, even Bloomberg is a step in that direction (although I’d put my money on Biden).

If Democrats could somehow marshal the same sense of unity as the Republicans have we could get there relatively soon. Instead we are going to bicker ourselves into 4 or more years of Trump and an eternally right wing Senate.

4 Likes

nah, moderates can always choose Sanders. It’s good for you, good for the country.

10 Likes

Maybe. Due to early voting, they may have dropped too late for it to matter on Tuesday. Plus, they’ll all still be on the ballot and may divide the center lane regardless. It’s going to be wacky, folks.

6 Likes

Or you can vote for a real moderate, like Sanders!

12 Likes