Tom the Dancing Bug: The online life in Chagrin Falls, USA

Originally published at: Tom the Dancing Bug: The online life in Chagrin Falls, USA | Boing Boing

14 Likes

and here I’ve been craving root beer candies all week. Coincidence?

17 Likes

wait. there were free peanuts to be had on twitter? i might’ve peeped out of my usenet/xmpp/jabber foxhole had i known that.

excellent comic! as per usual.

13 Likes

Wow! I’ve met all those people on Twitter.

14 Likes

i need a new toaster oven.

16 Likes

Now you can meet them on Threads too!

8 Likes

This is perfect. I made it a point to limit my online life and avoid most social media.

Anyone know when MySpace is coming back?

13 Likes

Yes, they do/(did), the peanut (galleries) where “you” and all of the other users that bolstered Twitter to its historical heights.

Sorry to dispel any notions of grandeur, but YOU were the product, marketed to the advertisers that provided the bulk of their revenue.

4 Likes

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

12 Likes

So the real reason I never got around to get on Twitter was that I don’t like peanuts?

2 Likes

Yep. That’s why Facebook/Instagram/Meta has free popcorn. Just in case free peanuts aren’t your thing.

Boy, I sure love my new Apex toaster oven.

5 Likes

Right now on my “For You” … are posts that I’ve been seeing for the past 4 days, posts from people I don’t know revealing they have terminal cancer, ads for a saw-blade weedwacker that doesn’t look safe at all, posts where someone deems their mundane situation worthy of “A Thread”, plus the usual tiki-torch crap… Nope…

I think end of summer I’m getting a flip phone and the hell with internet and social media. It’s a cesspool.

3 Likes

Me, who never even went in, but just stood outside on the sidewalk, listening to the conversations within: “Dang, that was my favorite bar.”

2 Likes

This is a brilliant comic.
I just read a good article Hysterical Conservatives Are Accusing Meta’s Threads of Censorship
Their complaints are bad faith attempts to normalize misinformation and conspiracy theories.
(BTW, I just looked at the URL for the link. Ironically it shows that the source was Twitter so Twitter was going to get the “credit” for boosting the story. I removed it and put in the URL straight from The New Republic)
One of the things that the writer points out is that the RW is going to work “The Refs” on Threads like they did on Facebook. And Zuck will cave from their bad faith call of “censorship”
I wrote a piece about the need for Regulation for Social Media companies, because we can’t trust companies like Meta to follow their own guidelines, especially if it gets in the way of profit from disinformation & RW emotional engagement.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.