TOM THE DANCING BUG: Trump's America

Well, US Common Law is derived from English Common Law, which says that a man should be tried by a jury of his peers. So Trump has a perfectly valid point.

But with 3500 legal cases he’s been involved in, how difficult it is going to be to find 3500 * 12 = 42000 Wharton-educated property developer assholes. Obviously he should be immune from all litigation.

5 Likes

I think another obvious question would be: Just what bearing does Trump’s stated desire to wall off Mexico have on the ability of this American judge to fairly rule on a case about Trump’s real estate “university”?

If all it took to force a judge to recuse themselves was to insult their heritage, it’d be almost impossible to move any trial forward.

4 Likes

yeah, well, maybe you need to stop relying on your personal experiences.

5 Likes

The following is a public service announcement:

There are some posts that should not be dignified by a response.

Please do not feed the trolls.

Arguing with some people is logically equivalent to arguing with a wall.

6 Likes

Well, one thing is for certain–we’re about to find out just HOW racist this country truly is… :frowning:

5 Likes

Sotamayor appealed to her experience as a Latina woman informing her judgment.
Trump appealed to the racist assumption that a judge would be incapable of sound judgment because of their race.
These are quite distinct to people who aren’t desperately trying to excuse racism.

15 Likes

Clearly we should reform the legal system so that being openly prejudiced against a judge based on their race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation is sufficient grounds to shop for a new judge. What could possibly go wrong?

6 Likes

And then made a veiled threat about what might happen to the judge if Drumpf becomes el Presidente.

7 Likes

I think some Americans are already acutely aware of how racist this country is and have been for a long time.

12 Likes

I think I see @Mark_Sniadecki’s point, though…I think a lot of people were hiding their true feelings about race because it was socially unacceptable to air them. And I think a lot of people are emboldened by Trump’s popularity to be more vocal about such feelings.

8 Likes

I agree that he’s unleashed a newly empowered racist backlash - I just disagree that it wasn’t known by some people in America or that it’s actually some big surprise. It’s not like there aren’t people who aren’t fully aware of the deep strain of racism that exists in this society and that this existed well prior to Trump’s rise as a political figure, quite frankly. The fact that there are people deeply ignorant of that fact doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Just like just because some people can’t see the homophobia or sexism in our society doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

10 Likes

I’m willing to bet that no matter who the judge was in this case, Trump would be claiming bias. A Muslim judge, biased because of Trump’s stance on Islam. A female judge: biased because she probably supports Hillary. A judge who’s a registered Democrat: obviously biased for political reasons. A judge who’s a conservative Republican: biased because he doesn’t like how Trump is shaking up his party. Etc.

In language that Trump might actually understand, claiming a judge who rules against you is biased is really just “loser talk.”

12 Likes

I can wait… :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Unfortunately, in almost all legal systems, if the laws of nature contradict the human created law, so much the worse for nature.

I was thinking more along these lines:

4 Likes

Thank you. Yes, I just meant that it’s going to be numerically recorded by the actual popular vote numbers. To my mind, at this point a vote for Trump equates undeniably to a vote for racism, there’s no way around it after what he’s said publicly. Either you’re willfully supporting his racist agendas, or you’re deluding yourself deep within the blinding grip of your white privilege.

Which is not to say everyone should just blindly vote for Clinton, either–but if you’re a Republican, and you’re not a racist, I think you have to just let this round go. Don’t cast your vote for Trump. Hoist somebody better (saner) onto the ticket in four years.

4 Likes
4 Likes

At last I think I follow the method to Trump’s madness.

1. Alienate all races, creeds, and national origins.
  2. Dismiss the authority of anyone to judge me since, hey, they’re each biased by race, creed, ethnicity.
  3. Ipso facto: I am immune to prosecution.

The circular logic is at once abhorrent & breathtaking.

11 Likes

There’s an interesting piece on TPM about Trump’s business “style” and how it relates to this thing with the judge. Basically, Trump has a history of making business deals with people, then when they come to get paid he avoids or refuses to pay, claims some kind of issue with the agreement, threatens to litigate, and thus cows the other party into accepting a new alternate version of their agreement that is more beneficial to Trump. The basic idea is: never back down, turn the tables by doubling down even when you are clearly in the wrong, and use lawyers to cost your opponent more legal fees than he/she can afford. With the judge he is trying a version of the same tactic (he’s told his surrogates to go harder after the judge), except this isn’t a business deal, and you can’t expect a judge to just roll over. Maybe he thinks he can get the case moved to a new court/different judge, maybe he thinks he can get the verdict overturned on appeal because of bias, I don’t know. And while Trump is clearly saying racist shit, I don’t think his his motivation is race as much as just getting his way, and race is as good a cudgel as anything else to him. Yes it’s racist, but it’s even more just plain old sociopathic.

9 Likes

Y’know, in my short time here on the BBS, I’ve noticed that a certain member doesn’t seem to bring much to any given conversation other than an attitude which is almost always contrary to whatever the perceived ‘general consensus’ is… someone who seems only too willing to bend over backwards and into a proverbial pretzel in order to play the devil’s advocate, no matter what the topic may be.

It’s almost exhausting to witness…

10 Likes