Tonight's U.S. presidential debate: Biden v Trump

It’s tempting to say that the second most significant outcome of the debate was its confirmation that Big Journalism’s political coverage – with a few honorable individual exceptions – has learned almost nothing from its horrendous failures of the past.

It’s worse than that, though.

When the top story remains Biden’s terrible fumbling, with broad indifference to the torrent of sewage that came out of Trump’s mouth, let’s face it.

Journalism is failing again, but on purpose this time.

22 Likes

“It may not be good for America, but it will be good for The NY Times.”

—NY Times, 2024 (probably)

14 Likes
21 Likes

[ETA]

5 Likes

I followed one of the Crooks and Liars links from earlier in the thread, and then spotted this - the Orange one has had another brainfart in public:

“All they know is electric,” the felon continued. “They want electric army tanks. They want electric planes.”

“What happens if the sun isn’t shining while you’re up in the air?” he asked. “Well, sir, those, you know, I told you there’d be problems, sir. No, they want electric everything, everything.”

“They want electric boats,” he added. The problem, the boats, they don’t float because the battery is so heavy, it sinks the boat. They say we don’t care; we want them anyway."

wizard of oz scarecrow GIF

15 Likes

I’ll stick with my steam powered refrigerator.

15 Likes

Makes me wonder (again) how he stayed so relatively focused during the debate. Must have been hopped up on something. :thinking:

16 Likes

i think so, yeah…

14 Likes

After Republicans were preemptively accusing Biden of being on stimulants? Yeah, probably.

15 Likes
11 Likes

No paywall.

16 Likes

Yes, Mr. Trump lied every 3.9 seconds

So he was off his game?

15 Likes

Nico Meter GIF by Nico’s Studio

Car Numbers GIF by Ilves Motors

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

8 Likes
10 Likes

The oddest thing about the Trump cult is that it has supplanted the religion of those who were previously religious, and it has become the “good news” to those who haven’t attended church in years. It lets them feel that they are better than the “demonrats” even though they don’t follow the rules of any religion. They can “grab them by the pussy” and commit felonies, and they are still better than the libs.

They are the chosen because they chose Trump.

They worship Trump because they can be as bad as they want — as racist or as sexist or as homophobic as they can be — and Trump will support the rhetoric. He gives them the “grace” they need to be as awful as they want.

15 Likes

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Something something “permission structure” something.

8 Likes

I think the lack of studio audience really helped him in that regard. He didn’t get caught up in following the wave of reactions like he does at his rallies.

10 Likes
5 Likes

does Tom Tomorrow post here? Anyway, this is me depicted here; albeit with a bit more hair:

(It’s a scary good comic in general)

8 Likes

There’s no point. He’ll say whatever the person in front of him wants to hear. He’s never made a policy statement that had any bearing on the actual policy that would be implemented.

The groups that set actual GOP policy in motion and get GOP policies implemented all support Project 2025. That’s the policy that will be pursued.

It doesn’t matter if he comes out tomorrow and says he has no intention of implementing any of it. Doesn’t matter if he comes out says he’s all in on it. Either could be complete fiction. He just lies about policy all the time.

The groups setting GOP policy will get it done and in front of him and he’ll sign whatever GOP policy shows up in front of him. His stated position is completely meaningless.

7 Likes