1 Like

Ah - a Good Friday story.

7 Likes

Heā€™ll be back on Sunday!

13 Likes

With eggs and chocolate!

Or, such is my understanding.

7 Likes

I have to say, I love the precedent for wars of the future being fought by leaders blowing each other up. As many times as necessary to kill them, and keep them killed.

Only because the less people involved in some big apes war for some other big apes stuff, the better.

Civilized wars are fought between armies, and the leaders are pretty much untouched. A ā€˜gentlemanā€™s agreementā€™ exists calledā€¦ lets just kill the little people, so we both know weā€™ll come out OK in the end.

Nope!

I want everyone who leads a war to be huddled in little bunkers, praying to a god they know will not answer, and holding their families tight to themā€¦ wondering if they will see a tomorrow.

Just like the rest of us have to do when this shit gets goingā€¦

Iā€™m just sayingā€¦ war and violence wouldnā€™t be such a thing if the ramifications were equally distributed.

13 Likes

Soooo, what youā€™re saying is that the god of the Muslims is able to resurrect people or shield them from bombs, eh.

1 Like

It may have been The Onion that pointed out the worldā€™s most dangerous job is ā€œnumber three man in al-Qaeda.ā€ Back in the oughts, we killed the number-three man almost every week.

8 Likes

Oh. I thought we were looking at a quantum ISIL leader. The ones that can be in two places at once.

Spooky terrorism at a distance or something.

Wait. Whatā€™s happening?

Is this real life?!

5 Likes

Still not as dangerous as rear gunner on a Londonderry milkfloat. Sorry, couldnā€™t resist.

Of course wars used to be fought between armies where the supreme leader actually had to take the field, and they were often killed (e.g. Richard 3rd.) And in navies it was a point of honour - far more important than any mere military effectiveness - that in battles officers had to stand on deck in full uniform, an idea of stunning stupidity that, of course, led to the death of Nelson.

Wars started to get really big when the top brass ceased to get involved. But there were other stratagems. At the Battle of Lepanto the nominal leader was Don Juan of Austria - Ritter Johann von Oesterreich - who was a minor son of Charles Vth by a German singer named Barbara Blomberg. He was given various minor lowish status jobs around the place until a figurehead leader was needed - whereupon he was given royal status and sent off to rally the troops. It worked quite well, and perhaps thatā€™s why nowadays we have various minor royals in the armed forces to motivate the troops, while politicians stay in their armoured Mercs a long way from the sharp end.

Perhaps ISIS are doing this, and we are actually occasionally assassinating the equivalent of Prince Andrew.

3 Likes

Iā€™m reminded of reading of the times during WW2 when German propaganda would announce things like, ā€œThe glorious Kriegsmarine have sunk the British HMS Seahawk.ā€ much to the amusement of people who knew that this, and other ā€œsunkā€ vessels were actually the names of Royal Navy Shore Establishments.

3 Likes

Killed him a second timeā€¦ wait a minuteā€¦

Yep. Itā€™s a Buddhist.

We got a Buddhist people! I repeat, we have a Buddhist terrorist!

4 Likes

Ha!

Also, tragically, weā€™ve already had lots of them (check out India and Pakistan!). Terrorism is generally far less religiously motivated than most people think and angry young people are pretty easy to convert.

Weā€™ve even had a QUAKER terrorist! And thatā€™s like getting murdered by a puppy!

1 Like

Did he lock some guy up with like a bear and stand there with a gun saying, ā€œI could stop the bear, but I donā€™t believe in violence.ā€

Nah. Just like all the rest, he was broken and a little insane and the fact that he was a Quaker just wasnā€™t that big a part of his persona.

Kind of like all those Christians who come up with clever ways to break those commandments and act distinctly un-Jesus-like.

3 Likes

Maybe. But itā€™s not like the world was an especially peaceful place when regicide was commonplace, so hard to say.

1 Like

Have you been reading (holds nose, gets wooden tweezers, puts on protective glasses and rubber apron, and holds up this: ā€œthe atheist conservativeā€

Or this: ā€œUK media watchā€, actually a Zionist lobby group

Because the straw man argument is equally strong on this one.

1 Like

It isnā€™t a straw man, its a joke.

3 Likes

We did kind of set that up to be a bit dry, didnā€™t we?

I also thought you were being goofy and was having fun with the mental image. :slight_smile:

I thought that was the Mary Whitehouse thing?

I expect that we will soon find out that these pictures are all from some Middle East stock photo site.