Tornadoes: hundred feared dead in Kentucky, dozens at collapsed factory

Yeah. it was a tense couple of weeks after that night.

Hot water would have been nice. But, alas . . . Cuba in the 90s was not a place where hot water was common outside the hotels. And water in general was problematic. I brushed my teeth with toothpaste and canned orange soda the entire time.

14 Likes

Ugh!

Too downscale for mosquito netting, I gather.

11 Likes

My brother and his wife went for a getaway on a tropical island. Their room had a box bed; one of those with draws built in to the frame below the mattress. When they turned out the light and got in to bed, they could hear a weird sort of clicking sound; this stopped when they turned the light back on. After a bit of investigation, they discovered that the sound was coming from the draws; or, at least, it was coming from the thousands of cockroaches nesting in the draws. My brother and his wife requested a new room.

15 Likes

What a terrible scene. It looks like on of those carpet bombed cities in Japan or Europe in WWII.

17 Likes

There’s an infant in the hospital in Bowling Green. The kid was brought in by first responders, who found the baby. Nobody knows who the kid is, or where the parents are.

They’ve released some of the names of the dead in BG. This includes two families of five who fled the Bosnian war as children in the 1990s to make a better life in the US.

ETA: The four parents fled Bosnia to Bowling Green as kids, met here, married, each family had five kids.

Cross post to “Fuck Today.” So, so heartbreaking.

22 Likes

For international readers, the first syllable in “Kentucky” is very short, like in “contortion” or “continue”

The BBC has been pronouncing it as if it’s two words, Ken Tucky

7 Likes

I just had a weird sensation, when my brain tried to fit the knowledge that the “Bowling Green Massacre” was fictitious in to the reality of this disaster.

11 Likes

And roughly the size of a small horse. Children saddle them up and ride them! (/s)

6 Likes

Only the small ones (children that is)…

4 Likes

As someone who grew up in northern Canada and now lives in Australia, lemme tell ya: the snakes and bugs are a very manageable option. We see a few venomous critters every year, and it’s really nbd. We aren’t their prey.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.