Watch: Tornado scours car lot in Andover, Kansas

Originally published at: Watch: Tornado scours car lot in Andover, Kansas | Boing Boing

2 Likes

And through it all, the Murican flag holds strong!

salute

10 Likes

It’s always amusing to me in events like this when people cling to things like that as evidence that god was watching over them for some arbitrary reason. “90% of the homes are destroyed, but the flag still flying at City Hall tells us that God was watching over us all along.”

Ok, sure thing pal. Is he planning to help with cleanup efforts or is that going to be left to ol’ commie FEMA again?

16 Likes

my coffee-deprived brain was thinking “car SALES lot” and i was expecting lots of cars swirling up into the vortex, and i was confused the first two times i watched it. then i focused on the flags, and then on the 4th watch i realized the trees were being pulled down. headed to get coffee now.

13 Likes

11 Likes

Having lived on the other side of Wichita for decades in my past, I can assure you somebody’s got it in for Andover. /s

7 Likes

This was 15-20 min from my parents house, who I am just so happening to visit with the kiddo. We did a quick shopping trip to an awesome toy/comic store, a game/nerd store, and a gun store yesterday in Wichita, and on the way home we saw the damage to the YMCA, which was quite extensive! On the way there we went via 21st street and there is some minor Tornado or high wind damage with what looked to be a corrugated metal shed destroyed, debris piled up oh side of the road, and a gnarly looking tree in the middle of a field.

This was an F3, and only 4 people had minor injuries. They had an F5 in 1991 that killed 17 people!

Tornado season is no laughing matter.

5 Likes

Probably made in China.

3 Likes

Looked more to me like it was hanging on by a thread. Now, I’m not saying that’s just as metaphorical as

But, yeah - it’s metaphorical. Hanging on by a thread.

4 Likes

The way those trees just gave in to the vacuum forces was amazing to see. I had no idea forces like those were that strong at a distance like that. Definitely no joke!

9 Likes

I could be wrong, but it looks like it’s running at 1.25x. When I changed the playback to .75x, the action no longer appeared discordant.

3 Likes

I think you’re right! Im not sure though. I’ve never been in a tornado, so I suppose the look of things could get that speedy…

Watched it twice before I realised there was an actual tornado. First time I was just waiting for the cars to go flying. Amazing to see the trees and other debris getting pulled in.

2 Likes

Welcome to Boingboing!

3 Likes
6 Likes

A HS friend and kids were at one of the other Andover schools for Family Movie Night, but it didn’t strike the school directly, but went by it, IIRC.

Wow, that moment when all the leaves at once got ripped from a tree!

2 Likes

My whole life in Kansas has been “pretty close” but not too serious when it comes to tornadoes. I think the closest we’ve been has been about a block away from the twister’s path, when one tore through some houses in our neighborhood in the 70s.
The closest our home has come to exterior damage was the time the hot air balloon landed across the street, but almost clipped our chimney on the way down.

Crazy, huh? And all those projectiles…

4 Likes

I can’t figure out why Ajax cleanser ever had the slogan “Cleans like a white tornado!” considering the mess they leave behind.

Honestly, I don’t really begrudge them that. Whatever gets you through a catastrophe like that. The untouched church can be a powerful symbol.

3 Likes