Tornadoes: hundred feared dead in Kentucky, dozens at collapsed factory

Ooh, that is rather cool, and looks like the future we were promised in the 1970s. :+1:

15 Likes

Sometimes living in a hole is preferable to living on the surface.

12 Likes

Wow.

My mother was born there, which is the only reason I’ve heard of the town.

The devastation is incredible.

13 Likes

Also, it’s a lot more work and money to excavate and/or finish off a cave space in Kentucky. Explosives are required.

And I’ve visited Mammoth Cave a few times. That’s not a great environment for some folks. As an asthmatic, I hear salt mines are more beneficial to living underground.

Trivia: Here’s an historic Kentucky cave home/business.

https://www.harrodsburgsestercentennial.com/2020/07/chinns-cave-house.html

10 Likes

Much as I have joked that this is yet another new normal thanks to climate change, the actual scientific answer is: it’s complicated.

16 Likes

the details from that article are just… wow:

Tornadoes typically lose energy in a matter of minutes, but in this case it was hours, Gensini said. That’s partly the reason for the exceptionally long path of Friday’s storm, going more than 200 miles (322 kilometers) or so, he said. The record was 219 miles (352 kilometers) and was set by a tornado that struck three states in 1925. Gensini thinks this one will surpass it once meteorologists finish analyzing it.

“In order to get a really long path length, you have to have a really fast moving storm. This storm was moving well over 50 miles (80 kilometers) per hour for a majority of its life…"

18 Likes

North America is a continent comprised of three very large countries and twenty additional smaller countries.

22 Likes

The Future is late and I wanna see the manager

13 Likes

This looks devastating. I hope all our happy mutants are safe…

Echoing what @LurksNoMore said, kind of, it’s lack of water. In traditional adobe housing the heat can be managed, but there’s no water. Or there shouldn’t be. Seeing lawns there is crazy.
Otherwise, if you can work remotely, it’s gorgeous. Truly.

19 Likes

And remember to shake out your shoes.*

*scorpions. Maybe spiders too?

14 Likes

Right? Sometimes I wish to move from Maine because winter is harsh, but then I remember living in warmer places and the poisonous spiders and snakes and scorpions. And cockroaches. The harsh cold winters kind of pay off in less lethal critters. And (generally) plenty of water. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Do love me a bath.

17 Likes

Including flying ones!

Euphemistically called “palmetto bugs,” I’ve heard. shudders

14 Likes

Yeah, they’re outdoor roaches though, eat dead leaves.

5 Likes

Which is not to say they don’t get inside houses.

7 Likes

Or as Dave Barry used to assert…flying up your nose.

I lived in Florida for a while. Palmetto bugs do fly at you occasionally.

13 Likes

All the time, but they’re easy to catch…

5 Likes

Ah, catching flying cockroaches, an image that makes me want to live in Florida all that much more! :grimacing:

10 Likes

Yeah . . . in Cuba I once stayed at a pretty run-down hostel (even for Cuba) and woke up in the middle of the night one night with those things all over my body. What woke me up was one on my face, near my mouth. They had been attracted by the warmth of my body, I guess. I woke up as I was grabbing the “palmetto bug” off my mouth and flinging it across the room. Then I realized what the prickly sensation was all over the rest of my body. Turned on the light and they were everywhere, all over me and the room. I managed to locate a stand fan and spent the next 12 nights with the fan pointed at me on full blast and a wet face towel over my mouth. Not the best sleep I’ve ever had.

20 Likes

You stayed for another 12 nights?!?!?!?

20 Likes

They probably would’ve thrown me out the next day, for using all of the hot water while taking a very long shower. :grimacing:

black and white shower GIF by The Good Films

17 Likes