Tornadoes: hundred feared dead in Kentucky, dozens at collapsed factory

Originally published at: Tornadoes: hundred feared dead in Kentucky, dozens at collapsed factory | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Jesus Christ, that’s terrifying. The town has been completely flattened.

27 Likes

An Amazon warehouse on the Illinois side of the St. Louis (Missouri) area was also flattened with people inside. A friend in Nashville says they’ve been up since 3am due to TWO tornadoes whipping through the area.

Basically, all of the Midwest has been affected. My windows are rattling as we speak, many hours after the worst has past.

I’d like to remind everyone that it is mid-December. There’s no such thing as tornado season anymore…they come pretty much year-round now.

54 Likes

Stay safe, hope your home is OK.

30 Likes

Hey, that’s why the Midwestern god created basements!

28 Likes

You lucky Devil.

15 Likes

OH wow. That is really bad. Being from Kansas I’m to stranger to the destruction but I’m still i awe every time it happens.

17 Likes

That looks like Syria at the height of the Civil war… JFC. My heart goes out to that community…

23 Likes

Heavy storming last night in Louisville. It was tornado weather here too, with thunder and lightning, which isn’t that common this time of year. It’s always a concern for me since this neighborhood was razed by one in the 1970’s. They do have sirens across the city which go off if one is sighted, and they do test them regularly, I also have a weather radio and a basement, so I hope that’s enough.

18 Likes

Remember the three W's when preparing your disaster go bag!

Whiskey

Water

Waffels

13 Likes

Not even a stone’s throw from where my late grandparents used to live, in Murray, KY.

I still have cousins in Tennessee near the border, too. Trying to check in on them currently.

23 Likes

Yep. A friend of mine got into her basement last night as her house came apart around her. She said that as she was fighting to pull the door shut over her she could hear walls and windows shattering. Her and her kids are safe, but the house is scattered around the neighborhood.

36 Likes

Glad to hear that…

That completely sucks.

25 Likes

So they still have the “Wizard of Oz” style cellar door? Yikes! So much better to have an in-house access stairway.

23 Likes

FTFY…

22 Likes

The roads look surprisingly clear.

3 Likes

They did, luckily. That area has a lot of limestone up close to the surface, so basements aren’t super-common. Some folks dig tornado shelters. And you can buy tornado “capsules,” that bolt to the ground and hold a few people.

16 Likes

I was in Alabama last night and told my Mom it felt like tornado weather. Had no idea what was about to happen north of us, but wasn’t at all surprised when I turned on the news this morning.

6 Likes

Climate Change leading to climate extremes. Dozens dead. McConnell’s people, so his "“thoughts and prayers” are expected. And that’s all he’ll do.

This from The Guardian re “… America’s top climate villains.”

Mitch McConnell admitted to believing in human-caused climate change only in 2020. He is also the chief architect of ongoing Republican obstructionism. Under President Obama, whose climate actions he smeared as a “war on coal”, McConnell used the filibuster to block even tepid climate reforms supported by a majority of Americans.

Under Trump, McConnell nuked the judicial filibuster in order to put three anti-science, pro-corporate justices on the supreme court, including Amy Coney-Barrett, who maintains deep family ties to big oil (her father worked at Shell for decades). And now, McConnell is ensuring that 100% of Republicans will vote against all of Biden’s climate agenda.

McConnell is also heavily funded by the fossil fuel industry, to the tune of more than $3m over the course of his infamous career.

In his own words: “I’m not a scientist.

15 Likes

In memorial: The Yard Went On Forever - Richard Harris - YouTube

“The Yard Went On Forever”

[Background Chorus]
Is everybody safe?
Has everybody got a place to hide?
Is everybody warm inside?

[Verse 1]
Hear them singing
All the women of Pompeii

Standing with the Kansas City housewives in doorways