Tornadoes: hundred feared dead in Kentucky, dozens at collapsed factory

Jeez, that looks like freakin’ Dresden.

7 Likes

i heard on the radio they think as many as 70 died from the storms. meanwhile, kentucky’s averaging 64 deaths every day just from covid.

i don’t know if which puts which in perspective, because: yeah. for all the disaster declarations, republicans will still refuse to do anything about underlying causes: whether that’s getting off oil, or getting vaccinations in arms

it’s maddening to say the least. ( although im sure they’ll make sure to steer some of that disaster money to themselves and their friends. so there’s always that to look forward to. )

19 Likes

And this is the guy who voted against every relief bill that hit Congress. Good thing the President isn’t checking which states voted for him or against him, and he’s not thinking of trading Kentucky for Greenland…

25 Likes

Good to hear. My family is fine, also. We’re mainly lucky in the fact that g-ma and g-pa are buried in Jackson, TN and don’t live in Murray anymore.

13 Likes

Reasons not to want to move to America:
The west coast - earthquakes.
The big flat bit in the middle - tornadoes, lots of tornadoes.
The south-east - hurricanes.
The north-east - cold winters
Everywhere else - Republicans.

To be fair, North America is a bloody big country, I’ve flown over a chunk of it, and the scale is mind-boggling, and I’m pretty damn sure I could find a corner of it I’d be perfectly happy to live in.
Just not where there are any of the items listed above. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Just checked our map. As usual, the Shenandoah Valley is a warm little cradle, with horribleness on all sides. And the wind is shrieking here as well. Buckle down, it’s gonna be rough.

16 Likes

Do you watch the videos of Pecos Hank? https://www.youtube.com/c/PecosHank/featured

1 Like

A swarm of tornadoes hit Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi and Tennessee.

But climate change is a hoax, “they” say…

22 Likes

Last I read, this tragedy has claimed almost 80 lives, which is horrible. Republican politicians are falling all over themselves to offer thoughts and prayers, and to call for emergency assistance from Biden.

Meanwhile, 66 Kentucky citizens died of COVID yesterday, the 7-day average currently at 59 deaths a day and climbing. That’s a tragedy of roughly the same scale every few days since the beginning of September. Political concern for Kentucky should have been far more prevalent for quite a while now.

16 Likes

As does this

19 Likes

Earthquakes are not nearly as big a deal as outsiders think they are

Wildfire smoke and other forms of air pollution are the main environmental hazards on the West Coast, really

13 Likes

Reasons not to want to move to America:
The west coast - earthquakes.
The big flat bit in the middle - tornadoes, lots of tornadoes.
The south-east - hurricanes.
The north-east - cold winters
Everywhere else - Republicans.

I’ll take the west coast. I’m fine with an earthquake every 10-20 years (I’ve lived through 3 big ones).

You can keep your tornadoes, hurricanes, cold winter and, most of all, Republicans!

7 Likes

This kind of begs the question, “Why do they build above ground in these areas?”

1 Like
  1. Living above ground is cheaper
  2. Nobody wants to live in a hole.
  3. While tornados are common the chances of one hitting YOUR home in any given year are extremely small.
19 Likes

So, does anyone want to tell me what is wrong with New Mexico? All of those problems look like they are about as common as they are in Britain. The right wing look like they are less of a problem there too.

12 Likes

Poverty. If you don’t have a government job, then you don’t have a job.

15 Likes

it’s desert, and it’s getting hotter and dryer.

18 Likes

And in addition, notice what was still left standing: “The Three Little Pigs” is not just a children’s story, it’s a straightforward reminder that brick homes can withstand a lot more than frame or stucco/adobe homes.

13 Likes

It’s official, there’s no such thing as tornado ‘season’ anymore:

18 Likes

It doesn’t have to be a hole to be safer, though. Alternatives like this might become more popular:
https://www.fastcompany.com/90385924/are-these-fireproof-hurricane-proof-geodesic-domes-the-post-climate-change-house-of-the-future

https://www.aidomes.com/ai-dome-advantages-summary/

18 Likes