Toronto Mayor Rob Ford demands removal of Pride flag from City Hall

Exactly my point! He might do the right thing occasionally, and he might be great to share a sherry with, but mostly he toes the line of cultural oppression whenever is convenient for him, because privilege.

1 Like

Wait! Are dicks delicious? Can any straight women or bi/gay guys confirm this? Have I been missing out on something?

(and no Andrew Zimmern jokes pleaseā€¦)

It is just one more proof point that the guy is a complete and utter jerk.

The guy who has been told that nobody wants him in the club is trying to decide other people canā€™t be members.

And to answer your previous point, yes it is a requirement for every elected official without exception to express support for LBGT diversity just as it is an absolute requirement for every elected official without exception to express opposition to racism. There is no place for bigots in public office. The way Ford expressed opposition to the parade clearly demonstrated that he is a bigot.

5 Likes

So, the logic is that everyone whoā€™s not straight should be closeted? You do realize that not being able to be open and accepted is in itself a harm against whoever has to do that?

Also, you believe that being gay is ā€œsomething that is addictive and destructive for most peopleā€?

Wow, Iā€™m going to feed the troll and say that youā€™ve countered your own argument. Obviously by your response you can discriminate against what you donā€™t know about. Iā€™d suggest getting to actually know some gay people (and not the stereotypes portrayed in the popular media), and perhaps youā€™d grow a little.

1 Like

Bovine Excrement. A politicianā€™s job is to support the rights of ALL their citizens.

This is what I was talking about, unless you embrace it totally, youā€™re accused of being intolerant.

Failure to embrace <> intolerance

If you go out of your way to make a point about not embracing it, then it is called a dog whistle. Ford is trying to get support from bigots by signaling he is on their side.

Seems his strategy worked with at least one person.

1 Like

I think people are focusing on his decision not to attend rather than his demand, as noted in the headline here, to take down the pride flag.

Demanding to take down the flag is more than failure to embrace. Itā€™s hostility.

5 Likes

Putin has spend $50 billion of Russiaā€™s money on the Olympics to burnish his own leadershit cult and you think that he is insisting politics should be kept out of the Olympics?

What you mean is that you think the Olympics should only showcase the political views you approve of.

I donā€™t need to accuse you, you just proved it.

1 Like

since when was it a requirement for elected officials to attend ā€œPrideā€ parades ?

I would say, since they were elected mayorā€¦

I mean, the mayor is supposed to represent the city, and part of that is to show up to the major parades ā€“ the pride parade, the thanksgiving parade (in the US), the St. Patrickā€™s day paradeā€¦

And this isnā€™t even just the regular Pride parade (which is huge in Toronto), itā€™s WorldPride with a projected attendance of 1.2 MILLION people. Whatever his personal views about the parade, it brings in a huge amount of revenue to the city. It is a big deal.

Demanding to take down the flag is more than failure to embrace. Itā€™s hostility.

Yep. And I think that at this point he is not just being his usual offensive self, but actually is being strategic. He is running for re-election this Fall. He must know that the LGBT vote is lost to him. But not everyone is comfortable with LGBT rights, although many people would not come out so openly against them. I think heā€™s courting the homophobes quite deliberately ā€“ proving once again that heā€™s ā€œjust a regular guyā€ (whatever the hell that means).

I would like to think that my fellow Torontonians would all be repulsed by his stance, but his base might not be. Indeed, such brazen bigotry might win him more supporters.

3 Likes

Just so weā€™re clear on who is calling names!

Oh yeah, thatā€™s me, the trollish name caller!

You Pollyanna, you. :wink:

This is only tenuously related to this post, but in the same article where I first saw this, they mentioned a twitter response from the mayor of Ottawa for the hoisting of their pride flag that left me quite impressed.

(canā€™t find the original article. Thatā€™s the problem with reading google news. Thisā€™ll do though)

There is another possibility: you know that if same-sex marriage is made legal your boyfriend is going to start pressuring you to leave your wife.

2 Likes

So youā€™re in the perfect position to answer the question posed previously: are dicks delicious?

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œJoe_Aleks, post:13, topic:22275ā€]
ā€¦polite people are right in expecting people to keep their private lives private. Rude people do have right to free speech about their private lives, but that doesnā€™t make it a good idea. What is a good idea for many things in life is ā€œDonā€™t Ask, Donā€™t Tellā€. Itā€™s common sense, common courtesyā€¦[/quote]

Pretty much any need for privacy in regard to oneā€™s sexual preference is in response to intolerance and bigotry dominating the local culture. Civilised folks not just tolerate but accept the spectrum of normal human diversity and donā€™t require people to hide such fundamental information about themselves.

As if sexual preference is a fact thatā€™s never referred to, even just among colleagues, for instance. Are you for real?

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure Joe is careful to never wear a wedding ring, have a photo of his wife at his work station, or call her ā€œsweetheartā€ or ā€œdarlingā€ in public. And no children, of course, because that would be in-your-face proof of having had sex.

4 Likes

How vulgar.

I truly wish I had a clue what you meant.

Oh! Heavensā€¦I didnā€™t realize.

Polyanna

Dr. Pangloss

Basically, you were being so optimistic about human nature that I was referencing the two best known literary characters (one male, one female) who exemplify the same enthusiasm.

It was meant to be a friendly joke. No disrespect meant.

1 Like