Tour a spot-on recreation of the sets for Star Trek: The Original Series

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/24/tour-a-spot-on-recreation-of-the-sets-for-star-trek-the-original-series.html

9 Likes

awestruck-gif

17 Likes

19 Likes

We do not approve.

7 Likes

Absolutely wonderful! But I’m also patiently waiting on a fan rebuild of:

I think probably that’d be an all-day visit, though …

9 Likes

An incredibly detailed recreation of the Enterprise, you say?

7 Likes

Oh, man I am about to start a project in Ticonderoga and the owner is very keen to collaborate with local stuff like this. I mentioned this and he was totally game. I can’t wait!

5 Likes

Amazing recreation! Engineering needs the belaying pins or whatever those were that Kirk whacked Kahn with. Maybe they were just there for the one episode…

2 Likes

I see, so this is a recreation of the 60s documentary of the future events of the starship Enterprise. Got it. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m still there though and when they recreate the Enterprise-D i’m so there.

Remember that time they almost made a 1:1 scale model of the refit Enterprise in Las Vegas?

4 Likes

That video itself makes a great background video for that mancave we saw earlier.

Also note, they are still open with covid protocols in place.

And it looks like Shatner cancelled his appearance last summer, but is scheduled this summer!

From https://www.startrektour.com/

Operations During the Pandemic:
Starfleet Command has required certain safety measures which we we take very seriously and will be in effect when you visit! Your safety and enjoyment are our #1 Priority and we look forward to welcoming you all back, and we appreciate your cooperation. New York has worked very hard in controlling and containing the Corona Virus and our mission from Starfleet is to do our part to end the menace.

1 Like

A friend of mine has been there and he enjoyed it.

3 Likes

I’m a huge OS Trek nerd. A friend of mine, a real Trekspert, and I made the, er, trek (he from southern Indiana; I from Atlanta) to visit these sets in June 2019. We booked two back-to-back tours, because we knew we wouldn’t get enough of it in one go. It was totally worth it. James Cawley has done some amazing work to get things dead accurate. He’s got deep pockets (he’s a professional Elvis impersonator), so besides the sets, he’s bought some interesting things for the mini museum there, including key props and several costumes from the show. The biggest surprise for me was that the sets, particularly the bridge, are all slightly smaller than they appear on TV (they built the sets from original blueprints, so it’s all on-point). Cawley was there and was very generous with his time, talking with us about anything we wanted to ask him about. Again, if you’re into this stuff, it’s totally worth seeking out.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.