Town to install public toilets with anti-sex systems

Curious UK fact - men meeting men for sex is toilets is called cottaging as many of the early 20th century public toilets were designed to look like a thatched cottage.

6 Likes

At least it’s only alarms and water spray, so far. It should be interesting the first time a parent and child set it off.

tenor

7 Likes

24 Likes

“Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone – somewhere – is having a good time.”

19 Likes

Maybe they should instead invest in a nearby set of stalls that facilitate away from home sex, so there’s less need for people to use toilets for sex.

7 Likes

Many years ago, a young lady and I attempted to get frisky on a greyhound bus. Don’t judge- it was the middle of the night, we were going through Missouri, and my Walkman had broken- there really wasn’t anything else to do. It was, in every way, a deeply unsatisfactory experience and I would not repeat it.

Porthcawl, get a clue from Berlin. Anyone forced by culture or proclivity to seek sexual gratification in a public amenity deserves our support and sympathy, not our censure.

13 Likes

The part that really bugs me is that they promote fear of the wrong thing. They are the same group who are perfectly fine with rapists getting a slap on the wrist penalty, if they are ever brought up on charges in the first place. They make me fear the so-called “justice” system, and all the incompetent and/or malicious people they’ve put in positions of power within it.

9 Likes

Pressure sensors? Movement sensors? Automatic doors? Water sprayer? This sounds like an imaginary deterrent rather than something real. If it is real, I can’t imagine it working - not just as intended*, but at all - for any length of time.

*Obviously the mentioned issues with their approach to detecting sex render this totally broken even in theory.

It feels like someone had a horrible idea which they’re talking about as a form of pysops to try to keep people from having sex in toilets, not because they actually built the thing. It’s just so obviously ridiculous.

The irony is that as a result of the trans bathroom panics, I’ve read numerous anecdotes from cis women who were followed into bathrooms by cis het men who took it upon themselves to be bathroom police because they thought the women were too masculine looking. In a few cases, they prevented the women from using the restroom at all. Is there a name for a panic whipped up over an imaginary problem that ends up creating some of the very problem it was trying to prevent?

14 Likes

ironically, anti-sex measures are meant to prevent others from getting that

6 Likes

When I was downtown in Graz, Austria, I was forced to use the public restroom in the town square. I was expecting something terrible, but it was incredibly clean. The surprise was when I turned to enter a stall, I discovered that none of the stalls had handles! They had a matron who had an office in between the men’s and women’s room. She kept the place spotless, and I also had to go see her in order to get her to open the stall. She was the best anti-sex, anti-rowdiness, anti-filthiness system that you could imagine.

19 Likes

I’m reminded of the short story where the zombie apocalypse happens and folks just learn to live with it, mostly. They just have to wear explosive death-sensor collars in case they die and zombify before anyone notices.
Only, the collars sensors are a little overly sensitive and occasionally give false positives for death. So the narrator advises readers to always “act lively” so the collar won’t blow your head off.

8 Likes

Is the Académie française too squeamish to have produced a stilted and questionably popular alternative to using a sinister xeno loanword; or are the P&O Ferries management just the types not to care?

5 Likes

Today I learned that rough sleeping is a UK euphemism for homelessness, not someone who jerks around like they are having sex while asleep.

St. Marys church in San Francisco used to use sprinklers to keep homeless from sleeping on their steps, until it hit the news and they realized what assholes they were.

My prediction is that the undoing of these robonannies will be the kids who figure out how to have some sprinkler fun, and the transients who figure out how to get a free shower. And what kind of pervert is turned off by shower sex anyway?

Basically it’s free showers for people who get sexy.

5 Likes

And some people will find the extra noise and water jets enhance the sex. You just know it will be someone’s special fetish.

10 Likes

Because Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere might be having a good time.
(Apologies to H.L. Mencken, but I think he would approve.)

4 Likes

Let the games begin.

One award for who can make the door and sprinklers set off first, and one award for stealth.

3 Likes

I looks like cottagers in this Welsh resort town will have no Porth of Cawl. :thinking:

9 Likes

How to tell the difference between two slim people getting it on, and one large person suffering from constipation?

4 Likes

Weight distribution. Even severely overweight people have no bigger feet.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t have the collar have an option to disarm it with a captcha?

1 Like