UK to ban new unisex toilets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/06/uk-to-ban-new-unisex-toilets.html

17 Likes

Another empty, stupid, anti-human move from an empty, stupid, anti-human party.

55 Likes

eyeroll.gif

16 Likes

Seems like that should include residential builds as well. I mean if they are practicing what they preach and all.

24 Likes

“None of them h’anysex’ bogs! We demands Rowling lavvys!” (“With a ghost of the proper gender in each U-bend”)

(seems like the right-wing mental deficiency virus crosses the pond with the greatest of ease -sigh-)

13 Likes

Unisex lavatories have existed as long as there have been lavatories. Beyond insane.

40 Likes

I can sort of see why people don’t want to mix stalls, but why would a single occupancy restroom have a gender? I used to see this at a coffee shop I went to before it was gentrified away. People would wait for the “women’s” room doing their little dance rather than just… go into the other single occupancy and lock the door.

31 Likes

Must smash non-sexualized bathrooms!

clash of clans waiting GIF by Clasharama

18 Likes

Though a date hasn’t yet been announced by Dear Leader, the UK is close enough to a general election that there won’t be time to implement many of The Party’s plans before the next election.

A lot of the noise they’re making is The Party thrashing around for headlines that get enough people to support their proposed next regime. So, signalling to their far-right followers.

13 Likes

Tories getting thrashed is excellent news, and a hopeful harbinger of the US elections this fall.

16 Likes

This is that thing they do instead of solving problems; fabricate a crisis, make a big deal about it and then cancel/ban it. Always at war against something but never working to solve actual problems. I suspect that they are sourcing their ‘issues’ from the same think tanks as the US.

24 Likes

Oh great, now straight folk will be claiming to be trans to get a private room.

(Yes, /s, if anyone was wondering.)

10 Likes

I have a unisex toilet at home. It’s never been a problem.

Perhaps I’ll ban antitrans people from using my bathroom. They can go figure out a different place to relieve themselves if they are so keen on denying basic bodily functions and gatekeeping hygiene.

24 Likes

I was going to joke that they’d have to eliminate unisex bathrooms from airplanes as well, but then I had a horrifying realization that they probably will try to.

16 Likes

Has Sir Keith made a statement saying that he won’t change any of this when he wins? Because that is what I expect of him. He has been reliably transphobic ever since he was elected, and there were warning signs in the leadership election.

I hate this country.

16 Likes

Why stop there? Let’s bring back race-segregated bathrooms too (or implement, in the case of UK)! Next on my proposal: let’s make class-segregated bathrooms, so each bar and pub should have at least 8 different ones.

7 Likes

Even in that instance, it’s quite easy to build stall doors that offer privacy so that you don’t need to worry about others (of any gender or orientation) looking at your bits.

11 Likes

and many times they also double as wheelchair accessible bathrooms, and often have space for infant diaper changing.

17 Likes

Fair warning, if that’s the case, then we’ll just crap on your floor. Or in a brown paper bag, and pull the ‘flaming bag of poo’ trick.

(not that I’m suggesting that as a course of action, I’m trying to be funny but still make a point. And I realize that OP is being sarcastic. I hope. )

Did you miss the “anti” in their post?

6 Likes