UK to ban new unisex toilets

“Equalities Minister Kemi Badenoch”

that’s some serious doublespeak

5 Likes

… Yes, I did. :: puts paper bag over head in shame ::

Although, the anti-trans people would probably do that because outrage and publicity.

4 Likes

This isn’t actually true. The proposal holds that there should always be single sex toilets in addition to gender neutral ones.
Despite the ghastly Kemi putting this forwards, it’s not completely unreasonable.

Quite the last thing the government should be focusing on, I’ll grant you

2 Likes

Not the flaming full-of-poo one, I hope.

12 Likes

Concerns about privacy and dignity would be satisfied by providing self-contained universal toilets instead of traditional public toilets, but the new legislation will forbid that option unless space is limited.

The change to building regulations will also allow contained, universal toilets in addition to single-sex toilets where space allows, or instead of single-sex toilets where there is not enough space.

A universal toilet is defined by the government as a self-contained room with a toilet and sink for individual use.

7 Likes

The Inequalities Ministry was a thing long before she got the job. Likewise for the Inequalities and Human Restrictions Commission (AKA EHRC).

They’ve both been shit to everyone other than Conservatives. The TERs just haven’t realised because they are so consumed by hate.

11 Likes

You say that like they want to solve actual problems. They couldn’t care less about that. They’re there to line their pockets as much possible before the eventual, inevitable change of hands to the next lot of corrupt grifters.

3 Likes

Please don’t gaslight us with claims that this is reasonable. The transphobic cruelty is the only point.

All Tories Are Bastards. All of them, no exceptions. If they weren’t bastards they wouldn’t be Tories.

16 Likes

30 Likes

The post implies that this is a UK-wide thing but isn’t it just England? :thinking:

2 Likes

They also seem really keen on causing as much misery as possible to people they don’t like… such as trans people. :woman_shrugging: It’s not just a cash grab no, because one could do that without all the pointless cruelty.

killing eve bullshit GIF by BBC America

As @the_borderer noted, the cruelty is the point, and they are throwing red meat to their bigoted base. Let’s not pretend like the cruelty isn’t the point, because it certainly is. They’re showing us who they are, so believe them.

14 Likes

yeah, europe seems to have this down to a science, though being asked to pay half a euro to poo was almost as offensive as this toilet ban :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, awesome. So when a place puts in its third washroom it’s finally allowed to accommodate non-binary people. That definitely makes this reasonable, given how places with only gender neutral toilets have never actually been a problem. :unamused:

13 Likes

When traveling in Europe it is always striking to me that most European countries are more socialized than the U.S. in every way other than their willingness to provide free public restrooms.

The public rest stops off the highways in the Netherlands were absolutely pristine, but I think they might have charged a full Euro for use.

6 Likes

Usually you get a voucher in the full amount for the rest stop store. So if you buy an overpriced chocolate bar you go for free.

4 Likes

So if your establishment only has room for two toilets, you’re required to make them the “two” genders, instead of gender-neutral, meaning that not only do people have to cross their legs if the line for their genders’ toilet is long, but also we’re back to policing which person gets to go in which toilet depending on what genitals we’ve decided they probably had when they were born.

No, that’s not reasonable, it’s backwards.

9 Likes

Still, that does require money. It was a little surprising to me that a country like the Netherlands would be more capitalistic in regards to a basic & necessary biological function than we are in the U.S. No other such examples come to mind.

5 Likes

I don’t understand the point of this legislation.

As a father, when my daughter was very young and needed the loo, I would take her into a men’s lavatory because I didn’t want to go into the ladies’. We went into a stall and modesty was preserved for everyone.

Is that going to be illegal now? Will there be a police officer on the door of every public convenience to check the genitals of people going in? Or will it be sport checks, given the current issues around police recruitment. What’s the penalty if you have an incorrect number of penises?

The big evacuation problem in Britain at the moment is there simply aren’t enough public loos, no matter what sex you should be to go into one.

7 Likes

Those exponential powers go up quickly. We could start adding in religion, education, age, political party, ad nauseum. New construction would require thousands of toilets so no one had to share with anyone.

4 Likes

I bet you do.

Genitals can change or be ambiguous. We need to have chromosome checks before you can use a public restroom.
X - No bathroom for you, Turner!
XXY - No bathroom for you, Klinefelter!
XXX , XYY, etc etc etc…NO BATHROOM FOR YOU OR YOU OR YOU!!!

(I’m sure when a bunch of Tories discovered that their biology doesn’t match their identity, they would declare that their internal knowledge of who they are is what matters, while STILL denying that to everyone else.)

7 Likes