UK to ban new unisex toilets

But if there is only room for one toilet it must be a wheelchair-accessible universal toilet, which has to be gender-neutral because there is only one.

3 Likes

They’ll need more than chromosome checks. Tories should have all the invasive tests*, just to make sure.

* Not really, but you know that they will insist on them for us trans and intersex people.

10 Likes

Right, I mean, that’s normal and well and good. I was pointing out the regressive absurdity that happens the moment you are big enough that you can fit a second toilet.

3 Likes

In your defense I phrased it weirdly. This whole topic is a bit of a sore spot for everyone, so I should be more careful with my levity.

5 Likes

Welcome to conservative politics. That’s all they ever do.

5 Likes

They’re kind of making a big deal over something literally everyone has.
Office Boss GIF

5 Likes

As a woman, this doesn’t bother me if the stalls are designed with floor to ceiling doors that fit snugly. I get more annoyed with women bringing in their young children who love to peep through the wide openings or under the stall walls.

Also, if someone presents as a women and wants to use the women’s restroom, I say, “Come on in, sister, and welcome to our side! One of us! One of us!”

13 Likes

As others have noted, it’s mainly anti-trans signalling. And perhaps some projection by the sex pest toilet voyeurs amongst the Tory leadership.

6 Likes

Please, do not use the same paper bag previously mentioned…

8 Likes

Indeed; the triple-donged would certainly be in trouble. /sarcasm, silly

That would be unsanitary; I use fresh paper bags and put them into the compost pile after being done with them. :smiley:

As someone who does not quite pass (in their opinion) as fully femme, I have a fair amount of social anxiety when out and about in girl mode, and I dread having to use the bathroom when out in public, because I have no idea what reaction will occur. (I live in a state with a higher than normal population of ‘Karens’, TERFs, and literal neo-nazis.)

My standard protocol for bathroom usage is the “get in, do your thing, and GTFO with as little conversation / interaction as possible” method.

10 Likes

That’s literally any US state. :sob:

7 Likes

In this case, it’s arizona, where we occasionally wrestle with Florida and Texas for the ‘worst state’ badge. IIRC, we are in fourth or fifth place, I can’t remember.

7 Likes

We bad anti-trans people from our home, so by extension, our bathrooms as well!

(And yeah, I’ll admit I also almost missed the “anti-” part of that statement and was about to get upset. :slight_smile: Glad that I re-read it.)

10 Likes

Same. It has been awkward for some asshole relatives, and some hard words exchanged, but as a largely not-very-social person myself, no great loss. I will not have my child, or my other not-straight relations, uncomfortable in our home. If that means fewer interactions with assholes, well, show me the downside!

12 Likes

Tell me you have unacknowledged privilege, without telling me…

10 Likes

Except that every single item in the rest shop store is priced such that it already has (at least) the value of the toilet voucher added to what it would otherwise cost, so if you just want the chocolate bar but don’t want to go to the toilet, or you want two chocolate bars, you’re being ripped off.

And of course you’re only allowed to apply the €1 voucher to purchases of €3 or more, and only one voucher per purchase, please, so your stick of gum will still be €2.90, and you and your travelling companion don’t get to pool your poop vouchers to get a single chocolate bar to share for really free.

3 Likes

Interestingly, France (where I currently live) mostly doesn’t operate this way. Highway rest stop toilets are almost always free, and the squares where the regular public markets are held almost always have one of those auto-clean type toilets available for free.

Cities also tend to provide open-air stand-up-only pissoirs (and more and more often, enclosed port-a-potties) near outdoor gathering spaces by rivers and whatnot.

The only places that basically never have free toilets are train stations :person_shrugging:.

3 Likes

it’s been a long time since i went to paris but i specifically remember wandering away from the latin quarter into a park expecting if i went into a public park i could piss without flinging shrapnel.

(to be fair, there were some pissoirs but they were literally full of urine to the point they’d overflow onto your shoes – i’ve only seen them elsewhere in amsterdam, where they were also full of piss like me, but by then i wasn’t so down and out and could just throw a five euro note down to grab a guiness somewhere and earn use of some facilities)

edit: oh yeah, i also spent my euros on a pint or three then was gettig loled at i showed up to the chunnel like it’s an american airport only to find no one in that train station will let you pee wo paying and they want euros. i’d spent mine or, in a couple cases, paid for a tab for english ppl and had them give me the pounds since i was onward to london after, so imagine you have a £1 coin and theyre like no buy like a five dollar wine to piss at my train station restauranr

PS: might be drunk now lmaoooo

(Feeling cute, might delete :blush:)

2 Likes

If you say so, but when I was in Paris I remember paying for public restrooms in places like Jardin des Tuileries. And IMHO train stations should have free toilets, although I understand that it’s easier to maintain them when people pay to use them.

2 Likes

Where I live in West Oxfordshire, parking is free but the public loos cost 30p or something to go in. It has two effects. One is that since many people don’t carry cash any more, they are locked out. The other is a kind of low-key social rebellion where someone coming out holds the door for the next person to go in without paying. This way, at busy times – it’s quite a touristy area – the jakes get a good workout and contribute nothing in return.

The parking works well.

In central London, though, the dearth of council funded public conveniences has led to nightlife areas such as Soho becoming practically awash with urine at chucking out time.

Some local businesses have answered by opening their restrooms to all comers. Others have responded by putting combination locks on the doors. The “market” has countered that with an app where people enter the day’s combination to allow users to access the facilities without the expense of buying a coffee.

I can’t think this is a good look for what is supposed to be a World City.

Are free lavatories a human right? Who cares, it doesn’t matter because people who need to go are going to go.

Respect existence or expect resistance.

4 Likes